• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 whiplash cam pushrods

nigel

Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've installed the whiplash cam in my motor and used the hughes 5001 lifters and stock rockers. I was checking pushrod lengths and my rods vary in length. The shortest is 9.228 and longest is 9.267. I need to achieve .080 to .095 preload but unfortunately I can't see it being as easy as ordering up a set of rods. Has anyone used these lifters outside of the recommended preload spec with success? Also can anyone recommend a cut to fit pushrod kit because it's looking like I'll need 16 different size rods.

How about Adjustable Rockers?
I thought about it and if I could grab some for reasonable money I would but unfortunately due to my geographical location shipping costs and importing duties make a cheap set of roller rockers become very expensive very quickly

Are these hyd roller lifters, or why the weird preload.
Also, not sure on availability, but this is the exact reason they make adjustable pushrods. I've used them with great success.

Are these hyd roller lifters, or why the weird preload.
Also, not sure on availability, but this is the exact reason they make adjustable pushrods. I've used them with great success.
They are hydraulic flat lifters. I've never used adjustable pushrods to be honest except for checking pushrod length. Any recommendations on where to buy a set?

You can run more or less preload...Hughes recommendation have changed over the years as well. Quite frankly as long as there IS some preload a hydraulic lifter should take up the difference. Now will it run quiet?????..today's lifters hard to say till you try it.

16 different length push rods?..don't ever do that. Time for adjustable rockers if that the case. Too many ways to mess that up. Adjustable pushrods could be done, but they aren't real common.
I would suggest buying some better pushrods then the stock with a whiplash anyway. There are some affordable chrome moly 5/16 out there. Sounds like yours are wore, they should have measured one of these two lengths:
68 and new 440 9.315
66-67 440 9.377
If you are running 66-67 pushrods they have the wrong ball on the end for 68 and newer lifters.

Last edited:
Unless these lifters are 'special', they have an adjustment range of about 0.150", sometimes a little more. That means they will work anywhere within the range of 0-150", at operating temp. With an all iron engine, there is little difference between hot & cold. From your initial post, it sounds like the prods you have will work fine.

You can run more or less preload...Hughes recommendation have changed over the years as well. Quite frankly as long as there IS some preload a hydraulic lifter should take up the difference. Now will it run quiet?????..today's lifters hard to say till you try it.
This is something that I have been curious about. Most lifters are about .030 preload but hughes are a lot more. Cam card stated .080 to .095 but the printout they sent regarding warranty, setup and breakin suggested .120 to .140 which is a lot. I was always led to believe once you had a bit of preload the lifter would take up the rest of the slack.
You are also very correct about the rods that came I the motor. It is in fact a 67 440 and has 9.377 rods that will not work atall. I put one rod in on the lifter and it opened the valve on the base circle.
By my calculations if I run my shortest rod at 9.228 plus the .095 preload that should put my shortest pushrod .060 preload which is still preload. At least its not zero lash. I'm partly thinking to call smith brothers to get a set of rods at 9.323 or get a stock set of 9.315 rods which will give me .087 preload on the shortest and .052 on the longest. Any suggestions as to which path I should go?

Unless these lifters are 'special', they have an adjustment range of about 0.150", sometimes a little more. That means they will work anywhere within the range of 0-150", at operating temp. With an all iron engine, there is little difference between hot & cold. From your initial post, it sounds like the prods you have will work fine.
I was thinking stock rods would work except for my 9.377 rods are a bit long. Probably need to get stock 9.315 instead. I'm just curious for information as I've been unable to work on the motor for over a year due to health reasons and I'm chomping at the bit to get it running. I don't want to end up making a mess at this stage of the game and end up wiping the cam or bending a rod and be back to square one

Post #7.
To put it another way; the two extremes of lifter travel/adjustment, with the lifter on the base circle of the lobe:
[1] as long as the prods do not bottom out the lifter
[2] the prod cup in the lifter is not contacting the circlip
[3] anywhere between these extremes is ok.

Post #7.
To put it another way; the two extremes of lifter travel/adjustment, with the lifter on the base circle of the lobe:
[1] as long as the prods do not bottom out the lifter
[2] the prod cup in the lifter is not contacting the circlip
[3] anywhere between these extremes is ok.
Us irish folk have a saying for that. Once it's within the parish it's fine. That sounds good to me anyway. I kinda knew but just wanted a bit of clarification/someone else to back me up. I'll order a set of 9.315 rods

If you push rods are worn down what do u think your rockers are like? They wear together so even with new p/r your preload will be different on every one. Kim

the chrysler hydraulic tappet has about .210" of plunger travel. hughs recommendation puts the plunger close to 50% of travel. i prefer this method but .060" to .120" will work, but around .090"-.100" preferred. adjustable push rods will work but keep in mind they have spring pressure limits. these can be purchased from Smith Bros. in Oregon, or Trend. they aren't cheap. if cost is a factor than try some stock length rods. the problem with using stock length rods is if the heads or block have been milled.

Rockers are immaculate. They are like brand new. Motor only has 48,000 miles on it but the heads were slightly milled and new valves installed with seats cut. I put a straight edge across the valves when I installed the springs and there was only .003 difference on them. The pushrods are also perfect at 9.377.

I was going by your first post where you say the length varies approximately 040 thou. Then later on you talk about different lengths. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back