• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440hp engine dont Rev over 5500

5500 in neutral... oh boy!
Please explain? What exact ist wrong with rev in Neutral? I dont understand this Point?

I do it in Neutral in Case it was the Same as during driving but easier to Film

Please explain? What exact ist wrong with rev in Neutral? I dont understand this Point?

I do it in Neutral in Case it was the Same as during driving but easier to Film
You don't want to wind a motor with no load on it till it floats the valves.
Which is exactly what it appears you're doing.
In gear only.

I agree with the others that you should change the rear gears.
Also, I would use one ignition company. Not some here, and some there. I prefer MSD, but it isn't cheap. It will give you lots of adjustment. If you stay with a stock ignition, it must use a ballast resistor. You can get a better ignition box than the orange one. MSd does not.

You don't want to wind a motor with no load on it till it floats the valves.
Which is exactly what it appears you're doing.
In gear only.
With no load the moving parts have a lot more freedom to flop around, is how I think of it.

Fully stock 383.. with points and a 53 year old coil and I have no problem shifting at 5700 with my Bee.

Fully stock 383.. with points and a 53 year old coil and I have no problem shifting at 5700 with my Bee.

I also see no reason to get rid of points ignition.

My stock 440 HP seems to quit pulling before 5,500 rpm. I usually try to shift it at 5,000-5,200 when I'm on it. New valve springs might let yours rev a little higher but I don't think there would be much, if anything, to gain power-wise if it has the stock 268/284 .450 .458 cam.

It's a little shorter stroke engine than the 440. I bracket raced a '64 with a mild built 383 and I had to watch bouncing it off of 6 grand with a 456 behind it. The 456 helped it get out of the hole.

The 440 I have now is like a truck engine with all kinds of bottom end torque. It also seems like there's no top end running a set of 3:23s. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back