• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46rh transmission

Dreamcatcher

Will fish for food
Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this transmission would work in a hemi swap? Appears to be a 4 speed auto from a 95 pickup with a 360 engine. Just wondered if it would fit in my 68 charger with out cutting the hump.

I read the article on the A body swap that states the floor pans had to be cut. But I have heard it both ways on the B body. Also wondering if the 95 46rh transmission had an electric speedometer of cable type.

No electric speedo cable. It accepts the original cable housing. It sits further back though. The cable needs to be extended.
I'm pretty positive that the hump will need to be modified to fit the overdrive unit. In fact I'm 100% sure.
We are talking 3g hemi right? It will bolt to that

Thanks , I didn't know the difference on the small block transmissions. I seen it referenced to the 518 but it must not be the same. I guess I am not going to use my 5.7 in the charger. I don't think it will be worth the hassle with out over drive over the 440/727 I have. I will not cut the floor. Just looking for all options that are out there. Thanks again.

You could always use a "gm" trans, cough cough! They are smaller and don't require cutting the floor.

You could always use a "gm" trans, cough cough! They are smaller and don't require cutting the floor.

Thanks for the advise. But there is not upon the earth a bigger GM hater than I. I would rather not own a car than own a GM (government motors) car. If a GM part touched a Mopar it them must be destroyed. Kind of like a flag that touches the ground. I will keep pondering this whole swap. I have the 03 hemi ram truck so will either decide. On doing this or sell the whole thing. It isn't so much about cutting the floor as it is about cutting or modifying the torsion bar cross member.

I used the 545rfe trans in my 64' Polara 500, and cut the tb cross member. You need fab a new piece to go over the trans, but if you can bend some metal it really isn't a big deal.

Dreamcatcher, the 518 and 46RH are the same, Chrysler changed the name in the 90's. The 'H' means it's a hydraulic governor, if you had a 46RE it would be electronically controlled.

Auto Transport Service
Back