• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

489 diff question

Ray70Chrg

Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
Just replaced pinion seal. I have read many threads on this subject and followed the advise of those who said to mark the nut, flange, cover and the case so you get back close to the bearing preload and then maybe add just a touch more. Did all that and reconnected the drive shaft. Before topping off the oil I decided to turn the back wheels to see if everything seemed ok. What got my attention was there seemed to be a lot of slop when the axle engaged the ring. Both rear tires seemed to be the same. I did not do this test before I started so I have nothing to compare it to. I just recently got this car going again and put about 100 miles on it and everything about the differential seemed fine except for the pinion seal leaking. I would appreciate any advise or comments on this situation or is this pretty common. Thank you

They do clank around a bit but it should not be really excessive. Put some weight on the wheels or apply the emergency brake then try the pinion.
It should move about 1/8 to 1/10 th of a turn - approximately not being exact here.

go get the manual and read the diff repair and then you will have exact info for checking and how to auj, if not right. my mopar .com

Thanks for the replies. Will look up the specs and test as Steve says. This is my first time doing anything to the differential and I might have a case of being of being overly concerned. Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back