• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Hemi in 66 Charger

Mike Beaudoin

Local time
6:46 AM
Reaction score
I am putting a 2020 5.7 in my 66 Charger, do anyone know how to adapt the A833 to this motor and where to get parts?

Here's an aluminum bellhousing from Lakewood that's half the price. Link

That is interesting, my understanding is that the bellhousing pattern is the same on the SB and the 5.7. I understand from my research that the flywheel is different 8 bolt vs 6 bolt. one guy also stated that he put on on but had to cut 5/8 off the transmission input shaft. Has anyone done this installation?

why wouldn't you use the new manual transmission and the benefit of the extra gears and pre-engineered!

There are a lot of kits out there from places like American Powertrain, Modern Driveline, and Silver Sport Transmissions. They will sell you a kit with everything that you need. I did the TKX conversion a few months ago. It was a lot of work, but I'm really happy with the result.

Sounds like a cool project!
I have not done a trans swap in decades, so it was a real challenge. Still, it was a lot of fun. My dad came over and helped with the project and it was a lot of fun to work on the car with him again. I've done almost all of the work on the car by myself and I kinda' like it that way, but Dad got me started on this journey back when I was kid in the 70's, so working together is natural.

Anyway, the 2022 round of upgrades was: replace manifolds with headers, replace 2.93 open rear with 3.55 Powr-Lok, and replaced A904 with a TKX from American Powertrain. The car has been transformed from sleepy to rowdy, and I love it!

When I bought the car, the 360 had been rebuilt much like the one that Holdener built in this video (same XE268 cam, rockers, Holley 670, etc.). I don't think my heads have been worked like Holdener's (mine have the stock-sized 1.88 valves) and I have Weiand intake instead of the Edlebrock RPM, so I figure it probably makes about 350 hp compared to his 387 hp.

Should be a beast if I can gater the parts, i am an old hot roder and do not buy new stuff unless I have to.

Auto Transport Service
Back