• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Hemi into 69 Bee journey...need advice

Chryco69

Local time
12:11 PM
Reaction score
Those of you who fought this battle, can you please give me some advice?

Junkyard finds/tips to save money?
Wiring dilemma?
Best transmission option?

Holley Terminator Max X Gen III Hemi for the wiring/controller. It is fully tunable and will support whatever trans you go with.

It is an expensive transition no matter what but here is what I did. I bought a 6.1 from a wrecked 06 SRT8 Charger with 25K miles on it. Got a used 545RFE from a junk yard. Bought a kit from Bouchillon with fuel tank, wiring harness, remapped Computer, headers, center sump oil pan and pickup, dipstick tube relocation, 45 degree oil filter mount, O2 sensors and engine mount kit. Small items like a brake light switch and throttle bell crank items I got from salvage yard vehicles. If you go with aftermarket fuel injection and engine controls you probably won't need some items I did. There are a ton of new options out there now that didn't exist when I did my project.

I cannot deny that the conversion is not super cheap but it can be done cheaper than many think. The most expensive/difficult part of this is typically the controller system. Some have used a factory harness and modified it to work, but in my mind that method is more difficult than I would want to deal with especially when you consider that you can't really tune it.

The fuel system seems intimidating but it can be done pretty simply, might not be the best or most sexy system but it would be functional. Exhaust can be handled using Jeep manifolds and I suspect perhaps some other methods other than TTI.

To me, the reward far outweighs the effort.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/c/DIYHEMI on YouTube.
They have a few junkyard gold videos and wiring videos. If you are looking for economical I think he found that the Jeep Commander with the 5.7 and 54rfe was the cheapest to obtain and easiest to install. The 727 doesn't require much either. If you try to run the NAG1 or 8hp70 then you will need some sort of external controller. The fuel system can be done economically by using rubber lines, an efi pump, and a corvette filter/regulator.

I found it to be an extremely affordable option. It cost less that outfitting a fresh BB into a car that was missing the drive-train.

Auto Transport Service
Back