• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Hemi Valve Seat Issues

69BBody

Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up an '05-'08 Magnum with a 5.7 Hemi and have been warned by a few of my coworkers and friends about the issue with dropped valve seats.

Google brings up lots of discussion, but was interested if any of my fellow B-body owners have had any experience or knowledge of their own to share before I take the plunge.

(I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, so mods, please feel free to move as required).

My parents 2004 hemi ram 1500 broke a valve spring at 90,000 in 2008 and the dealer replaced it. Never heard of valve seat issues but yes I have heard of valve spring issues on 2004/5 hemi 5.7

I have an 03, 2500 with 170k hard miles on it and it's running fine. (Hope I didn't jinks it) I don't know if there was any changes after 03 or not.

I have heard about it, but I don't have one? I read that the press-fit was on the loose side, and the issue occurs if the engine gets overheated?
Not sure how much it costs to have the seats replaced?

Dodge 4.7's mostly, but the bulletin could include 5.7's, I would have to check at work. It is known that the bore for the valve seats were cut without sufficient interference fit. Overheating the engine is the most common issue here. I have had a few heads come thru with dropped seats, and cut for a new oversized seat to fix it. The bulletin recommends replacing all of the seats, but have not had anyone want to spend that much yet. I charge $12 per seat, plus the seat at about $3 - $5 each. While I don't find $192 for the labor, and $80 for the seats too much, I guess a total head work price of $670 for cleaning, straightening, seats, valve job, milling, shop supplies, EPA, and tax kind of makes most people shy away from doing it properly.

MAGNUM3.jpg
ItsaHemi.jpg
The problem is definitely with the 5.7 Hemi. Nothing to do with overheating or anything else you can try to blame it on. Pure and simple, the valve seats don't have sufficient interference fit to hold them in tight. The seat problem always happens when just starting the car after being driven long enough to warm up. They don't admit any fault but they made changes to the heads in 08. I am part of a class action suit for this. Mine happened after coming out of the Dr. office from an appointment. Turned key, car started, immediately sounded like loose nuts and bolts in an old metal coffee can. No overheating, no high rpms, no warning. 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T 5.7. Last October with 80,000 miles. Nothing but 5w20 Mobil one. Took to dealer and they said it was not a common problem. I asked how much for new heads, they gave me a price but said they were on Back order. Hmm......I actually expected it and was shopping for replacement heads when it happened. I had just hoped for it to go at least 100K. I have looked on many sites on line that are similar to FBBO in that they are owners of 5.7 powered cars. Common on all sites. I waited for my tax return and got a new/remanufactured replacement engine. Came with New, upgraded cylinder heads, upgraded timing set and oil pump as these have also been a problem of the 2003-2008 5.7. Cost $2600 for the engine including shipping the old engine back for a core credit.
I love my Magnum, good power, decent mileage with the MDS system. Just know that you will need to replace the heads before they take out the cylinder heads, pistons and possible block. They started production of the 5.7 Hemi in 2003 and it was originally an option on the Ram 1500. magnumburnout.gif

Last edited:
View attachment 515312 View attachment 515317 The problem is definitely with the 5.7 Hemi. Nothing to do with overheating or anything else you can try to blame it on. Pure and simple, the valve seats don't have sufficient interference fit to hold them in tight. The seat problem always happens when just starting the car after being driven long enough to warm up. They don't admit any fault but they made changes to the heads in 08. I am part of a class action suit for this. Mine happened after coming out of the Dr. office from an appointment. Turned key, car started, immediately sounded like loose nuts and bolts in an old metal coffee can. No overheating, no high rpms, no warning. 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T 5.7. Last October with 80,000 miles. Nothing but 5w20 Mobil one. Took to dealer and they said it was not a common problem. I asked how much for new heads, they gave me a price but said they were on Back order. Hmm......I actually expected it and was shopping for replacement heads when it happened. I had just hoped for it to go at least 100K. I have looked on many sites on line that are similar to FBBO in that they are owners of 5.7 powered cars. Common on all sites. I waited for my tax return and got a new/remanufactured replacement engine. Came with New, upgraded cylinder heads, upgraded timing set and oil pump as these have also been a problem of the 2003-2008 5.7. Cost $2600 for the engine including shipping the old engine back for a core credit.
I love my Magnum, good power, decent mileage with the MDS system. Just know that you will need to replace the heads before they take out the cylinder heads, pistons and possible block. They started production of the 5.7 Hemi in 2003 and it was originally an option on the Ram 1500. View attachment 515320
My wife and I have been looking for a magnum. Just love the looks of them. There don't seem to be many for sale and they don't make them any more. Nice ride!

Thanks for the responses guys! Sounds like I should factor in replacing the heads as part of my purchase and take care of it at work before anything catastrophic happens.

Not saying it cant or wont happen but I have an 03 , 05 , and an 08 all 5.7 hemi's and all have over 130000 miles. None have ever had a valve related issue. Just saying....

It only has to happen once. Or you can wait for it to happen. Heads are much cheaper than an engine. Just saying.

It only has to happen once.
Ain't that the truth.

No help here. But, for grins, my time working on radial engines, the heads on radial engine cylinders are hemi shaped. Of course aluminum. Sometimes the steel valve seats had to be replaced...fun.
But those seats had an aluminum coating on the surface, to the head, with right amount interference fit. Seats chilled, head heated...and had to go in the first time.
The cutters we used also cut a 'roll edge' at the top edge, while the hole was cleaned up. That roll edge, once the seat was installed, was rolled over the top edge of the seat, using a timken like bearing roller set up. Worked like a charm.

The early gen 3 Hemi uses powdered steel valve seats thats why they drop mostly the intake

FEE9F414-5133-4F81-B9C2-3482A58E3909.jpeg 014A7151-8433-47F4-9195-068D0D97717A.png

Auto Transport Service
Back