• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Top End Clatter

I believe there might be some programs out there to do it straight from your phone but I don't know myself.

On my phone, I just bring up the video, click on share, select YouTube, give it a title and it uploads. Then I can share it wherever. It's been awhile but you might want to download the YouTube application first.
Pretty much how, yep - but folks have to have a Google account in order to do so first (since YT is owned by Google).
I hate that and it wasn't always that way (my own YT "channel" was created before Google came along), but there it is.

I'll go ahead and post the "STAR" procedure documents on what dealers, at least at one time, were doing to vehicles that came in for the "tick recall".
I do so not knowing (and not really believing) whether this is what the OP's problem is - after all, the famous hemi tick didn't ever "sound like a diesel idling" - but in any event, submitted for your entertainment:
Star-1.jpg

Star-2.jpg

Star-3.jpg

Star-4.jpg

Star-5.jpg

Star-6.jpg

Star-7.jpg

Star-8.jpg

Apologies to the quality of these pics. I honestly am amazed I still had them.

Pretty much how, yep - but folks have to have a Google account in order to do so first (since YT is owned by Google).
I hate that and it wasn't always that way (my own YT "channel" was created before Google came along), but there it is.

I had to go into my settings on my phone and "un-sinc" Google from most of my apps, especially my G-Mail account!

I might regret responding to your other post, (don't want to jinks it) but my 03 Ram with the 5.7 has been doing fine with 170k on it now.
crossed.gif

Thanks for posting the "Star"

I had to go into my settings on my phone and "un-sinc" Google from most of my apps, especially my G-Mail account!
I might regret responding to your other post, (don't want to jinks it) but my 03 Ram with the 5.7 has been doing fine with 170k on it now. View attachment 682742
Thanks for posting the "Star"
No worries, my friend. :)
I'm the only one to ever work on any part of mines' engines (Mobil1 from day one, same as all my other late-model critters) and she's nary had a problem. Drove it yesterday, in fact, even though she's enjoying semi-retirement these days.

This whole hemi tick thing is bringing back memories, though. Seems like that controversy went on for several YEARS and I don't know that anyone ever definitively put their finger on the exact cause, at least on one that fit every single complaint out there.
Bottom line is I like the Gen3 5.7 a LOT, enough to have owned a hand full of 'em and two now.
Now, don't get me started on that $&^^&@!# 4.7, though.... :)

No worries, my friend. :)
I'm the only one to ever work on any part of mines' engines (Mobil1 from day one, same as all my other late-model critters) and she's nary had a problem. Drove it yesterday, in fact, even though she's enjoying semi-retirement these days.

This whole hemi tick thing is bringing back memories, though. Seems like that controversy went on for several YEARS and I don't know that anyone ever definitively put their finger on the exact cause, at least on one that fit every single complaint out there.
Bottom line is I like the Gen3 5.7 a LOT, enough to have owned a hand full of 'em and two now.
Now, don't get me started on that $&^^&@!# 4.7, though.... :)
excellent posts , even though they don't apply to me at the moment, I thank you for your extremely useful info

I remember the 09 6 speed 5.7 had a tick when nearly new. I let a friend of my drive it. He roasted and romped on it. 2 things happened. Found out it has wheel hop from hell, AND the tick went away. Quiet ever since.

Figured it out!

That sounds more like hammering than "ticking". Me personally I would be tearing into it verses running it as it sounds like it is damaging something in the top end hence the clanking when it you shut it off...

Figured it out!
Figured what out?

That sounds more like hammering than "ticking". Me personally I would be tearing into it verses running it as it sounds like it is damaging something in the top end hence the clanking when it you shut it off...
Agreed. Something is dead wrong there.

Also, most of the old diesels like my 97 Dodge are pretty noisey but the new ones are a LOT quieter. So, not sure how bad the 5.7 really is :D

Dayam....never mind....just now listened to the vid and it's WAY louder than my 97!!

Did the rebuilder do the updates to the valve seats, oil pump, timing chain/gear set ? Not necessarily related to your problem but are a possible future concern. I have experience the dropped valve seats myself. Total head destruction. Happened on start up.

I'd be interested in seeing if there is any shiny tint to the oil.

Did the rebuilder do the updates to the valve seats, oil pump, timing chain/gear set ? Not necessarily related to your problem but are a possible future concern. I have experience the dropped valve seats myself. Total head destruction. Happened on start up.
New oil pump and pinned valve seats that I know for sure.
I was hoping to get a couple years out of it to work out all the bugs. I didn't think it was going to BE the bug.

I believe the oil pump upgrade was made by Mellings. And as mentioned above, do you have the MDA system reinstalled ? Or did they just use an 06 block for the rebuild ? Did you supply the core or did they ? Rebuilt heads ? They reuse damaged combustion chamber heads if they don't leak.

I believe the oil pump upgrade was made by Mellings. And as mentioned above, do you have the MDA system reinstalled ? Or did they just use an 06 block for the rebuild ? Did you supply the core or did they ? Rebuilt heads ? They reuse damaged combustion chamber heads if they don't leak.
The block was just used and he supplied the core. He also did the heads. If the engine has to come out I will get another long block from someone else. I have seen others for $4k and can just swap over the parts. Hate to start over again.

Yeah, the MDA system is.....well, something I don't care to have. Is the block different for engines that use the MDA mess?

Auto Transport Service
Back