• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.9 360 Magnum swap parts questions.

Lauterec

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
082.JPG

crusty.jpg

With all of the responses on my previous post I have decided to go ahead with the 360 Magnum swap out of a complete 2002 Ram Van 3500. Before I do anything I would like to have everything planned out.

Now there are some things I should mention about the '78 Magnum, the previous owner already swapped the rear end for 3.55 gears, which he says is why the speedometer is not accurate, something about a little gear. The side pipes are also connected via flex pipe and clamps so I'm not worried about connecting them to a new exhaust manifold. It has an aftermarket 4bbl Street Demon carb on it that the previous owner put on to replace the lean burn carb.

Now my question is since I have two complete engines with all accessories, one LA and one Magnum, which parts should I use in the swap? It's a factory A/C car with power steering, cruise control, electronic choke, all the luxuries. The compressor does not work on either car, but the previous owner of the magnum said all it needed was a special tool to adjust the clutch that he did not have. It was converted to r134a I believe. If I need to replace it I assume I would want the newer Magnum unit. I know I'll have to swap the LA oil pan onto the Magnum, but as for everything else I do not know what's better or if they are all the same parts and if it doesn't really matter.

Now I am trying to save as much money as possible which leads me into my next question. Do I keep the ECM and fuel injection or get a carbureted intake? I know the latter will cost me around $200 and then it's a lot more plug and play, and if I stick with ECM I'll have a wiring nightmare. I have read that fuel injection allows for longer engine life as well as eliminating the need to clean the carb and stuff like that obviously. It also has the added "benefit" of having an OBD2 port. I am looking more for gas mileage, best reliability and longevity more so then performance, and I plan on using as many factory parts as possible. Advice on how to proceed?

That choice is up to you and you alone. The F.I. is an excellent plus IMO. Is it worth the wiring hassle? I think so. I myself didn’t go that route as it was easier for me to just purchase an intake as I had the rest of the parts on hand. (30+ years in the hobby and your bound to have such crap laying around. ;) )

I forget if that OD trans is controlled by the computer. If so, that maybe the only way to effectively use it or at least easily use it.

Try a look at the website magnumswaps.com (or something like that) It should have everything thing you need to know about this swap.

As far as headers go, if you want to go there and use them, IMO, there is only 3 headers worth looking at. The cheap 1 size fits all are a pain and not really where you want to be in the end. There is headers by Doug. TTI & what I used, the Hooker Super Comp headers & 1-3/4 tube size. They fit awesomely with excellent ground clearance. Use a 2-1/2 inch exhaust tube w/a H or X pipe. All of the above choices on headers are expensive and so super worth it in the long run. Been there and done that I have and for certain, I will it be going back to those cheap headers EVER again!
53379765-739D-4918-A240-8AF9888C825A.jpeg
5C3AE913-C2A6-47F6-8E57-203C218ABBA4.jpeg
C063F60C-416F-4B92-9F53-B833D9056148.jpeg
7063543D-D950-4FBA-B2F5-B98ED4F9BE42.jpeg
0652CA65-FAA9-4AF3-BB54-FD3FA24D3582.jpeg

If you take virtually everything from the van, there should not be much wiring required.
The fuel supply for EFI would be the only real "modification" but I'm sure you can find someone who has done that with essentially factory parts.
I think for your car I would try and keep as much equipment in the factory configuration as possible.
A fuel injected 5.9 is way better day to day than a carbureted LA 360. I've had both.

I appreciate your reply. I was definitely thinking that keeping the fuel injection was the main pro to using the Magnum series engines in the first place, even if it means I am susceptible to an EMP haha. I hope I can get away with using the factory ECM.

I appreciate your reply. I was definitely thinking that keeping the fuel injection was the main pro to using the Magnum series engines in the first place, even if it means I am susceptible to an EMP haha. I hope I can get away with using the factory ECM.
That FI set up your s t the easiest to play with but in factory form, it works great and yes! The cylinder seat is held at a min.
If you take virtually everything from the van, there should not be much wiring required.
The fuel supply for EFI would be the only real "modification" but I'm sure you can find someone who has done that with essentially factory parts.
I think for your car I would try and keep as much equipment in the factory configuration as possible.
A fuel injected 5.9 is way better day to day than a carbureted LA 360. I've had both.
This is the one I used for for my carbureted 5.9 magnum engine, “CARBURETED” being the key word here.
BUT! Go to summit racing and do a search on F.I. fuel pumps. There are plenty to choose from. They are pricey though.

Auto Transport Service
Back