• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.9 Magnum motor question

67MPRFAN

Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
Hello has anyone put a 97-99 5.9 motor in a older car say my 67 Plymouth Belvedere and what would it take to get it to fit and running

I'v done earlier magnums
? which trans?
keeping the EFI?
you will need the computer and all the wiring
if using 67 trans you may have to get a stick shift computer
the magnum exhaust may exit in a different place so see if they dump same place on driver side and post back there may be other manifolds
I did a C body which takes different exhaust
I do not remember about motor mounts does the Magnum have ears like the LA
you will need EFI fuel pump
I already had a return line but do not know if you need it or not
early trans had a cable spedometer so that worked for me

Sorry forgot some information I'll be keeping my stock 727 trans if I can change intake manifold and run a carb the would be great my 318 in the car is a little tired and I just wanted something to throw in and drive the car until I get my BB built.... I still have points in the car now

you can change the manifold to a special one that has the vertical bolts for the manifold or you can redrill the heads if you already have a good manifold- but why the FI works so well
but check the motor mounts and exhaust manifolds
I used an early 95 and earlier OD trans still have the 318 727

Wasn't really looking to spend a lot of money or time on the motor just wanted to be able to drive it around some

What about wiring up newer engine to older harness should I just use msd box and call it good

If you have an msd box what distributor?
Magnums come with two types of caps one with female terminals and male wires the other has mail stud terminals and uses female wire terminals
so you might have to change cap or wires
if you are using carb you can use chrysler distributor and ignition box
might as well convert the existing 318

A friend of mine has a lot of good small block stuff I mean a lot. part hoarder, anyway I could get some parts and help from him I'm more interested in fitting it in the car for cheap

he said he currently had points not an msd
msd is way overkill for what he is doing
I'tl fit but someone has to answer the motor mount and exhaust questions
I can look at my Magnum tomorrow
where does your 318 currently dump on the drivers side- behind the block or between 7 and 8 or in the middle like a rams horn?

With the new intake manifold and 340/360 brackets you can just take your timing cover and accessories from the 318. Use the Magnum balancer and flexplate. Oh yeah, 360 car oil pan too. http://www.magnumswap.com/

With the new intake manifold and 340/360 brackets you can just take your timing cover and accessories from the 318. Use the Magnum balancer and flexplate. Oh yeah, 360 car oil pan too. http://www.magnumswap.com/
I do believe the magnum 360 crank still requires the larger hole timing cover from an LA 360 and also the oil pan.
Unless the 67 has air why not leave the front of the magnum alone?

Timing cover seal the same for all LA small block. Early and later different timing mark placement.

magnumswaps.com

Thanks for all the replies... I do believe the exhaust dumps to the back of the heads I'll have to check next time I go to chassis shop.... Msd is if I need to help changing over to electronic ingintion ... the car did come with AC but what about power steering pump mounting

I just checked my magnum truck both sides dump at the back behind both spark plugs
on my C body the drivers side dumps between 7 and 8 but plenty of room behind 8 and the passenger side under 8
on a C body the steering gear is foreward of where it is on a pre 73 B-E body
IDK if there are any other stock manifolds for Magnums interested to know
are you going to run the magnum serpentine belt or your LA v belts?

Not sure on that one yet I'm thinking out loud right now how hard would it be to use the seprentine belt system

If you are running an electric fuel pump, you can keep the Magnum timing cover and water pump, alternator bracket and alternator, power steering pump and bracket, and the serpentine drive system. B-body should be wide enough to use a full size truck power steering bracket, and then you can leave off the A/C compressor if you are leaning that way. If want to keep a mechanical fuel pump and carb setup, transfer the front timing cover, water pump, and accessories from a donor LA engine, and use the cheap dual plane intake you can find on ebay.
Camahaft adapter is needed to run a mechanical fuel pump.

I guess that's why I did not remember about the motor mounts when I did a build- no big deal except for the header clerance part but I ran cast manifolds and kept the FI

If you are running an electric fuel pump, you can keep the Magnum timing cover and water pump, alternator bracket and alternator, power steering pump and bracket, and the serpentine drive system. B-body should be wide enough to use a full size truck power steering bracket, and then you can leave off the A/C compressor if you are leaning that way. If want to keep a mechanical fuel pump and carb setup, transfer the front timing cover, water pump, and accessories from a donor LA engine, and use the cheap dual plane intake you can find on ebay.
Camahaft adapter is needed to run a mechanical fuel pump.

Thanks this is great information

I finally got a chance to look at the car the driver side exhaust dumps at the back of the head and the passenger side dumps at the middle of the head

Auto Transport Service
Back