• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 or 6 speed?

500special

Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
hi all,
iv got a 1970 charger 500 with a 438 stroker. i want to put a manual trans in her but i don't know to go with a tremec 5 speed(from keisler) or a new challenger 6 speed. the car was originally an auto car and i was wondering which one would be either cheaper, easyer, or both. the stroker is putting out 500 hp plus with 3.23s out back. id be greatful for any help.
thank you

I would definately go with the 6 speed. Oh yeah, btw I have a Viper 6 speed Tremec T-56 for sale for 1500.00 & shipping. Just saying....

Clever, wasn't it???

5 or 6 speed... honestly it doesnt matter to me much... the 5-speed works well if you're not doing a lot of top end speed trials haha

With the 6 speed 6th is .50 to one, you can run a 3.91 or 4.10 gear and still live with it on the interstate.

I think that the bigger the engine and higher the torque, the fewer gears you'll need.

Very true... 600 ftlbs doesnt need a lot of gear to get going - run a 3.55 or 3.73 with a 5-speed... If you have a high revving, low torque engine then run a 6-speed... like a Ferrari or small block screamer.

Auto Transport Service
Back