• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 point racing harness questions

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, l need to get a pair of 5 point racing harnesses.l have no experience with harnesses so I'm asking any of you for any suggestions. I see there are latch locks and cam locks. Cam lock looks tidy so what's the advantages of the latch lock. Any specific brand you like or suggestions Thanks for any help you can offer

I prefer latch and lock because I find them easier to unlatch when your wearing heavy racing gloves , Just grab the latch and yank . Lot of the safety crews like them for the same reason.
What ever you buy get a set where both lap belts are adjustable lot easier to center the latch I would also get pull down belts
MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THEM CORRECTYLY

Yes, the car has a 6 point cage. Do you have to use all 5 straps if your just going to the store or something. Also when they say pull down or pull up what are they referring to ? What are your favorite brands

If your car came with a shoulder belt I would think you would have to wear the lap belt and the shoulder belts to be legit . The 5th belt (crotch belt) no . Pull down means you pull the loose end of belt down to tighten them , You should loosen belts after you un buckle or you have to tug and pull each time you buckle up to fit all the belt ends in the latch or cam . I am curious where your going to attach the crotch belt , if not mounted correctly it's useless.
I would get the 2 inch belts , they are not as bulky or heavy and if there good enough for a 410 sprint car they should suit you fine. Simpson , Impact or for half the price Racequip but you get what you pay for.
Check out Behling racing equipment to find what style you like and how much you want to spend then shop around .
NOTE" as crazy as it sounds not all racing belts are DOT approved

Make sure to mount the shoulder strap anchors high enough so they do not crush you on rapid deceleration

curious is this a drag car or what? If so the Nhra or Ihra rule book is the place to go for correct installation.

I use latch locks due to cost and ease to uncoupling. Cost matters because you have to change them out every two years. (Which every racer has whined about.)

I guess it would be a "What" ,,,, lol l bought my 62 Savoy 2 dr post as a rolling shell a few years back. The rear end was the wrong width and was hardly holding but enough to get it on the trailer. My plans are for a street rod with a few Friday night drags. Seems like the preference is for the latch style and l think the pull down would be easiest. The car should be on the road in the next few weeks. Thanks for all your help guys. Cheers
curious is this a drag car or what? If so the Nhra or Ihra rule book is the place to go for correct installation.
!

Latch style is cheaper, which factors in when they have to be replaced (or sent in to be rewebbed and recertified ). I have latch style in my 62 savoy. But i drove a friends car with cam lock style, and i found i like them better. The belts plug in one at a time, instead of having to put them all into the latch style at once.
The cam locks also have varying styles of release, sme are push button , some turn a knob.
It seems that camlock guys get theirs re-certed, whle latch guys just buy new.
If you are NOT going racing, out-of-date belts are almost free, they are only good for yanking engines at the junkyard, unless they are sent for recert.

Thanks for all the replies guy's . I ordered a set of G-force Latch style this morning. l guess there are pro's and con's to everything
Cheers Jack

Auto Transport Service
Back