• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 vs 6 leaf springs

TAZZ

Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
I was picking up parts for my 74 charger yesterday and the guy had a set of springs with with 5 leafs where as my car has 6 leafs. He thought they came from a 72. I have a 72 also but it’s got 6 leafs. I’m looking at ways to lower the back of my 74. Would a set with 5 leafs do that? Only looking for a couple inches drop. Remove one of mine? Which one? TIA

If your has 6 leaf springs, use them. If you want lower the car, a good local spring shop can de-arch them.

I have used a SMALL (1/2 inch or 1 inch) lowering block on several race cars
without any issue for the past 50 years.

My 66 Dart came with 6 leaf springs. I ordered springs over the winter and never counted the leaves. I got 5 leaf springs. Well, that was 20 years ago and I still don't see an issue. I just put a bigger tire on it.

2.20.22c.jpg

The number of leafs needed is simply a factor of how much torque will be applied. More torque = more leafs. You set the arc based on the preferred ride height.

Have you measured the thickness of the individual leaves? That is needed to compare spring packs.

Auto Transport Service
Back