• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

512 Stroker Main bore size

512Charger

Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
Here we go I had my block align bored I used 440 Source billet aluminum main caps. The shop I used bored them .002 2 thousandths over size and can't find a bearing that is oversized on the outside diameter of the bearing is this going to be ok or do I shave down the cap and re-bore. What are going to be the side affects from shaving down the caps (timing chain slop). Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

You'll have to have them cut the caps. Then "align hone" it back to proper spec. May have to use a shorter chain depending on the block tolerances. When I did this work I always rough cut in with a line bore. Always finished with a hone because you have so much better control. Just does a nicer job. Your machinist is a hack if he gave you the block back that way. Also you should see the cross hatch from the hone on the sides of the bore. If you don't they didn't cut the caps enough. I would expect a little shadow right at the parting lines, that will be ok. Your only other option is another block, and a better machinist.

You'll have to have them cut the caps. Then "align hone" it back to proper spec. May have to use a shorter chain depending on the block tolerances. When I did this work I always rough cut in with a line bore. Always finished with a home because you have so much better control. Just does a nicer job. Your machinist is a hack if he gave you the block back that way. Also you should see the cross hatch from the hone on the sides of the bore. If you don't they didn't cut the caps enough. I would expect a little shadow right at the parting lines, that will be ok. Your only other option is another block, and a better machinist.

If I'm reading this correctly and the shop is looking for bearings to fix their screw up (that don't exist) take you stuff and run.

Thank you for your reply. I haven't spoke to the shop that did the align bore yet to get there reply. Had to take it to that shop to get the lifter bores bushed and he had a CNC so I had him align bore. No one close to me could bush lifter bores.

.002 over in diameter is a little over .006 less crush on the bearing. Even after cutting the caps, they'll be wide at the parting line, the crush won't be correct and it will change the eccentricity of the bearing. Shame to find that after all the other work was done.

well, if they ruined your block, politely ask them to source you another block, and redo all the work you paid for, or you will see them in court.

They are going to get me another block and redo. I had to argue. The facts are the facts numbers don't lie. Thanks guys for your comments.

When your block has slop in the timing chain it isnt a shorter chain to correct it. Its slightly oversized gears with a standard chain.

When your block has slop in the timing chain it isnt a shorter chain to correct it. Its slightly oversized gears with a standard chain.

They are replacing the block - that's what they should have done, arguement or not. Align boring or honing should not affect the crank centerline in terms of the timing chain. The caps get trimmed on the mating surfaces, then the boring bar cuts the new bore minus a little, but it should not be raising the centerline of the bore. Then it should be carefully honed back to the right bore size.
So kudos to them for doing the right thing, and you for doing the build properly & bushing the bores too.

Auto Transport Service
Back