• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

590 lift Mopar cam

67 B-body

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
Do any of you have first had experiance using the Mopar BB 590 lift solid lifter cam?
I was wondering where you ended up with initial and tottal ign timing.
For some reason, mine likes a lot of initial advance before it even begins to sound and respond decent. The first cam ran well at 18deg initial advance, and this thing got a lot more dialed in. I haven't checked it yet, but the dist got a good turn to make it run with any responce, and without sounding like its on 4cyl instead of 8!
Thanks!

hey raceral on this site uses that cam,maybe he will teach both of us,mark

What's your compression PSI? Is this the same engine that the 'other' cam was in? What's it degreed in at?

What's your compression PSI? Is this the same engine that the 'other' cam was in? What's it degreed in at?

Same engine, new cam and lifters. I took it down and cleaned it all out then re-assembled. I haven't put the compression tester on it yet, but will be doing it this coming Tuesday evening after work. It should be very high though!!! These heads are 75cc chamber, and I'm running .140" domed Forged pistons on standard length H beam rods from Scatt. I have the offset dowl bushing for the cam set to be advanced. I was told by Koffels speed shop that they found the cam to work best without advance, but I wanted to bring the torque down a bit to a lower RPM.

Found a couple spots that spark was jumping through the plug boots. Ign timing is still at 19deg adv, but thats close to where the other cam ran good at. I think with a little tunning, everything will be good. Still wonder how your cam worked out though RacerAl...

What's the difference between the old cam and the new?

not sure really what your asking, but i can tell you that the MP.590 is a great OLD camshaft...are there other better/more modern cam grinds.?..absolutely..will they make more power ?..idk because i've never tried anything other than MP purple shaft cams...ya see, i,m ALL mopar..and i dont et chase..so they work great for me...i install them striaght up and run 36 degress of total timing. you need a fair amount of cyl. press. to get all the performance outa the .590..i'm around the 215 psi and 13-1 compression. i just swithched over to e85 this pass weekend and got some great performance outa my car...i went 11.31 @ 118 in some of the most brutal heat you could imagine...140 track temp and over 4500 DA. by my figures that will be VERY low 11's, all with an old ..outdated...dinosaur of a camshaft. all in a 3600 lbs. car. i hope i answered your question.. keep us updated on how things work out.

Al

IMG_2959.jpg
[/IMG]

Sounds great! I will be adjusting tottal adv this weekend, and also measuring my cyl pressure this week. I too should have some high readings with the .140" domed pistons and 75cc chambered heads. I used Hasting file fit racing rings so I hope they seal up well!
What stall convertor do you run? Mine might be a bit low for this cam at 3500rpm Coan convertor, but it was cheap enough I couldn't pass it up! I'm sure a new one is in the not so distant future though....
Thanks for your input!

BTW, What did you have to do to run the E-85 fuel in your car?
Jet sizes, gaskets, etc.?

BTW, What did you have to do to run the E-85 fuel in your car?
Jet sizes, gaskets, etc.?
... the carb was sent away for the conversion..there are TONS of forums about racing on e-85.(google is your friend :D)..the guy i sent mine to asked for the engine combo and the type of racing i do and he sets them up from there..man knows his stuff...carb was right on from the beginning, only had to turn the idle adj. screw about 1 turn and it was dead on...1100 rpm in park..800 in gear. no bog no stubble and the plugs look great.

Last edited:
The Mopar .590 lift cam has 265/265 degrees at .050" lift. I would be running a minimum of 20 degrees initial timing on that cam, maybe up to 24 degrees and a total of 36.

Auto Transport Service
Back