• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.1 for $1200

Im sorry but the old 318's I have never once seen one snap a rod in half and I have had a few to 9000 rpm many times.

Im sorry but the old 318's I have never once seen one snap a rod in half and I have had a few to 9000 rpm many times.
I rev'd one to 5500 and the valvetrain went kapow. Engines have weakness' thats a simple fact. Just because my 81 acadian's 4 cyl has made it to 242XXX doesnt mean it's a good motor.

I rev'd one to 5500 and the valvetrain went kapow. Engines have weakness' thats a simple fact. Just because my 81 acadian's 4 cyl has made it to 242XXX doesnt mean it's a good motor.

Everything has issues...the more hp they produce the more issues you get. The LS motors have issues too. They have piston issues. Each engine family has something inherently flawed, Engineers aren't perfect (I know I am one). I think for what these engines are capable of and the price you can get them for that they are a screaming deal. If I pop a rod with 8 psi flowing in the intake it should be expected.

Everything has issues...the more hp they produce the more issues you get. The LS motors have issues too. They have piston issues. Each engine family has something inherently flawed, Engineers aren't perfect (I know I am one). I think for what these engines are capable of and the price you can get them for that they are a screaming deal. If I pop a rod with 8 psi flowing in the intake it should be expected.
Thats my point. As engine builders the pros can make motors almost indestructible but we're looking at motors produced in the hundreds/thousands. mistakes happen.

There is not a problem with the heads. They run these motors at 240* for the sake of emissions. Any cooling problem will cause things to overheat quickly. That's what I think went on in the early 5.7's.

I'd clean it up at .005, use a Mahle off the shelf 4032 piston with a stock PM 6.1 rod and rebalance it all. The rods will still be the weak link in anything but a FI motor. You'll need to turn 7k and make 600rwhp before you break the rods. That would be a solid stock rebuild motor that most of us couldn't break.

If you put anything larger than a stock cam, I'd run a PAC1218 spring properly set up.

I've seen very few failures in these motors, and I've built more than most.

I've seen very few failures in these motors, and I've built more than most.

how many have you built

Alex speaks the truth. 3rd Gen hemi motors are damn near bullet proof with the right parts and builder. There are several 1000++ rear wheel horsepower gen 3 hemi's running around in the group we come from. Believe it or not, several of them are daily driven street cars :)

yes he speaks the truth.
guys, alex used to work for me when i had my shop open. if you have any questions about what to do or how to do it hes your man.

these 3g hemis are capable of making some power.

and I didn't say it because it has no bearing on why I am here, but I have a shop as well and we do engineering and development for gen3 hemi hardware and software.

I'm crossing my fingers here. I've found a guy who's ready to replace his 6.1 because it smokes and he's asking $1200 for his 6.1. I'm not sure of the year, but I've heard the car run and it doesn't sound bad. I've been reading the posts here to try and cover all the bases.

Is that $1200 for a shortblock or longblock? If it's a longblock, that's a STEAL. If its a shortblock that needs a rebuild, its not a bad price, especially if it will just need rings. There are some deals out there. I bought a 15K mile 6.1 shortblock off one of the forums for $800 plus $150 shipping from 700 miles away. He planned on using it in a hot rod then received a crazy offer for the car and sold it. He was tired of stumbling over the block in his shop. You just have to haunt alot of forums to find the deals.

Supposed to have been a long block but the deal fell through. I'll keep looking.

I have a 5.7 Hemi for $1500.00 If anyone is interested. It is a 07 and has 100 miles on it. Pulled it out to put a 6.1 in. Took heads and timing cover off. Was going to build into a 392 but just never got it done. Tired of it being in my way. I have been a Dodge tech since 84. I will clean it up and reassemble it for $125.00 that is just the cost of the gaskets I would need. Or you can take it the way it is. Has the complete engine wiring harness and 2 complete intakse with injectors.

I may check back with you but any major cost is going to have to wait until after Christmas.

I'd hate to deal block ya but I've seen an awful lot of them for sale for under a grand lately. Not any with that low of miles though. Have you tried craigslist locally?

I check Craiglist regularly just to gauge pricing. $1500 is a good price. Maybe it depends on the area you're in. I live outside Houston and you'd think it would be lower due to availability but it's hard to find one at that price.

I check Craiglist regularly just to gauge pricing. $1500 is a good price. Maybe it depends on the area you're in. I live outside Houston and you'd think it would be lower due to availability but it's hard to find one at that price.

I don't disagree his price isn't bad especially for an essentially new motor. I bought a part off a guy about 3 weeks ago who told me he scrapped a whole 5.7 because he couldn't get $400 for it. It needed a crank because of a bearing issue but still would have been the ultimate stroker project at that price. (wish I would have known, I would have bought it from him)

I haven't really put it up for sale yet. I just saw your post and thouht I would throw it out there for you. I was a Dodge tech and started to tear it down for a 392 huild. Was going to put it in a wrangler. Then I blew my back out and 3 surgeries later and being put on disability. I decided that I didn't need a wrangler. I already have another 5.7 in case anything happens to the one in my Charger. So I am going to sell this one. I am planing on buying the gaskets I need this week when I get paid and put it back together. Then put it up for sale. If anyone is interested in it let me know. I will stay with the $1500 price even after I reassemble it. I also may be able to arrange delivery for an extra fee.

I haven't really put it up for sale yet. I just saw your post and thouht I would throw it out there for you. I was a Dodge tech and started to tear it down for a 392 huild. Was going to put it in a wrangler. Then I blew my back out and 3 surgeries later and being put on disability. I decided that I didn't need a wrangler. I already have another 5.7 in case anything happens to the one in my Charger. So I am going to sell this one. I am planing on buying the gaskets I need this week when I get paid and put it back together. Then put it up for sale. If anyone is interested in it let me know. I will stay with the $1500 price even after I reassemble it. I also may be able to arrange delivery for an extra fee.

Throw it up in the for sale section and on the a-bodies site. There are plenty of guys looking and I am sure you will sell it. I would recommend just bolting it together without torquing that way if somebody wanted to take the heads back off for painting or valve spring changes etc they won't have to buy new gaskets and bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back