• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 pack intakes

68gtx

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
thinking about putting together a six pack for my gtx, but looking around have found aluminum inatkes and cast iron intakes that both say they were original equip, which ones did they come with?

Both were correct. In `69 they were aluminum Edelbrock, in `70 both were used and in `71 they were iron.

there are some very very early 70's that also got the aluminum ones. until demand could not be maintained from Edelbrock so they had to start making their own.

are there ones that are move valuable/desirable for restorations?

restoration would have date coding if you really wanted to be technical.

if have a M-code... aluminum

if you car was built was 70 or 71. cast iron.

a 70 car with a mid fall '69 build date might have a aluminum one. im not sure on the cut off date is

restoration would have date coding if you really wanted to be technical.

if have a M-code... aluminum

if you car was built was 70 or 71. cast iron.

a 70 car with a mid fall '69 build date might have a aluminum one. im not sure on the cut off date is

Did all the original cast and aluminum intakes have the Mopar Penstar on them?

intake manifold

I was following the discussion and I have a 70 RR 6pk with 36,000 original miles on it. I had it appriased and the appriasier pointed out the the manifold is alum. I thought it was cast iron since it was painted. Where would I find the "M" Code on the manifold or on the build sheet?

Thanks for the information good to know.

just buy the after market edelbrock its identical to the 69 factory except it says edelbrock on it and paint it up it looks and works great

The originals also say Edel. on them. The difference between the originals and the later repo is an additional identifing mark on the repo that can be ground off so it is undetectable which has kept the prices low on the originals because of this.

I was following the discussion and I have a 70 RR 6pk with 36,000 original miles on it. I had it appriased and the appriasier pointed out the the manifold is alum. I thought it was cast iron since it was painted. Where would I find the "M" Code on the manifold or on the build sheet?

Thanks for the information good to know.

Your 1970 model is not an "M" code car, only the 69 lift off hood cars are M code six pack cars.

The "M" is the 5th digit in the V.I.N. for "special engine." So yes, it is on the broadcast sheet (in the V.I.N.) and on the V.I.N. plate on the car.

Your 70 is a "V" code car.

There is no "M" on the intake manifold. The above posters were indicating that the "M" code (69 six pack cars) got the aluminum manifolds. However some early 70s models also got an aluminum intake (left overs from the 69 production) rather than the cast iron. I would suspect your 70 is an early car.

Kudos to 696pac!

Your 1970 model is not an "M" code car, only the 69 lift off hood cars are M code six pack cars.

The "M" is the 5th digit in the V.I.N. for "special engine." So yes, it is on the broadcast sheet (in the V.I.N.) and on the V.I.N. plate on the car.

Your 70 is a "V" code car.

There is no "M" on the intake manifold. The above posters were indicating that the "M" code (69 six pack cars) got the aluminum manifolds. However some early 70s models also got an aluminum intake (left overs from the 69 production) rather than the cast iron. I would suspect your 70 is an early car.

Thanks 696 pack ! Your continued help is much apprecaited on how these cars were acually built and sold, I always enjoy your contributions to the site, best wishes CD

Thank you.

There are many subjects that I have no knowledge of and don't comment on.

There are many threads that someone else has already answered the question correctly and the only time that I offer agreement with a correct answer is when it seems there are conflicting answers.

I still have a pretty good memory and was there when these old cars were built and was selling them new. I also have been involved in the old car hobby since 1969 and over the years have gathered a lot of original dealer info. I began selling this stuff off a few years ago when http://www.hamtramck-historical.com came to be available, which is a GREAT source for all to have for original specs on these old cars.

Glad to help where I can.

Here is the 69.5 Code M manifold.

Attachments

• DCP_0037.JPG
    DCP_0037.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 212
Auto Transport Service
Back