• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 piston or 4 piston Calipers?

70ChargerRT

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Thinking about going with 13” Baer brakes on the front. There’s a 4 piston and 6 piston option. 6 piston is about $700 higher. I’ll never be doing any kind of racing. Just a cruiser but still want good brakes. Is it worth the extra money to go 6 piston? Have heard a few guys say 4 is all I ever need to suit my needs.I’m not going Wilwood or Cass so what say you?

Last edited:
4 piston is all you need. If you want to waste $700 so be it. With no ABS, all you can accomplish with any brake system is to slide the tires. I had a 96 Viper that I raced extensively with 4 piston Brembo's on the front no ABS etc. No problems with stopping in the ruffest of conditions. Just my opinion ofcourse, but I'm open to hearing others.

When I was thinking of disc brakes for the front of my coronet. I was told going with a bigger rotor and 6 piston calipers really doesn't make much difference from a 4 piston setup.

I believe the SRT cars came with 4 on the front and 6 on the rear.

Thanks for the reply’s so far. I got the original single piston disc set up that was used from 70-72 I believe. Again just looking for some better stopping power up front.

Thinking about going with 13” Baer brakes on the front. There’s a 4 piston and 6 piston option. 6 piston is about $700 higher. I’ll never be doing any kind of racing. Just a cruiser but still want good brakes. Is it worth the extra money to go 6 piston? Have heard a few guys say 4 is all I ever need to suit my needs.I’m not going Wilwood or Cass so what say you?
6 piston is overkill. Use the extra $700.00 on something else

6! If you’re doing doing a big brake kit, do a big brake kit.

Waste of money 6 piston calipers.
My perspective has nothing to do with money or wasting it. Probably wasting it already with brand name 13” rotors with 4 piston too. OP says “I’ll never be racing…”. If you go big brake and don‘t go 6 piston it just says you cheaped out, you need to fill up those big wheels too. These kits are probably ~$2k/axle to start with, what’s another $700. Just my 2 cents.

My perspective has nothing to do with money or wasting it. Probably wasting it already with brand name 13” rotors with 4 piston too. OP says “I’ll never be racing…”. If you go big brake and don‘t go 6 piston it just says you cheaped out, you need to fill up those big wheels too. These kits are probably ~$2k/axle to start with, what’s another $700. Just my 2 cents.
6 piston calipers are a waste of money. Cool if you have an extra $700.00 to burn, fine, not everybody does. I'll also say that factory engineered parts are not junk. It seems like people get hypnotized with aftermarket stuff thinking it's way better, when in reality it may not live up to the hype

Last edited:
6 piston calipers are a waste of money. Cool if you have an extra $700.00 to burn, fine, not everybody does. I'll also say that factory engineered parts are not junk. It seems like people get hypnotized with aftermarket stuff thinking it's way better, when in reality it may not live up to the hype
Yeah I just want some honest opinions and some good brakes. I mean the single piston wasn’t bad but it isn’t that great either. They’re about the size of my daughters rear brakes on her Jeep Renegade lol. I mean yeah I could go cheaper maybe with the same results but telling people I’m running Ford brakes just makes me cringe, sorry to the folks running them. If you look at the Baer brakes the 4 piston and 6 piston calipers are the same size it’s just the 4 piston is spread out more. The stencil is the same for both set ups. So the notion of filling up the wheels with a 6 piston doesn’t apply here. Maybe with the Willwoods??? Don’t care to spend the extra $700 for a world of difference but don’t want to piss it away either. Lord only knows how much I’ve already got in my car…

There will be a new brake technology in 5 minutes so why worry about having the latest greatest thing? It's not going to last. Who are you trying to impress anyway? 99% of all women don't care about the difference between 4 and 6 piston brakes.

I'd personally like to have Doctor Diff's 13" Viper brakes, and I believe those are "only" 2 piston calipers.

"Ford Brakes"....

1 huh 1.gif

The rotors and calipers may have been designed for a Ford but they were probably made by an outside vendor for Fords.
If Ma Mopar had modern cars with Brakes and hubs with the exact same lug pattern and such, we'd be adapting them to these classics.
So what? I have a Tremec 5 speed, aftermarket A/C, aftermarket wheels, instrument cluster, headlight relays, etc....Who cares where the brakes were originally designed ? The biggest sacrilege is a NON Mopar engine in a Mopar.

"Ford Brakes"....

View attachment 1445832

The rotors and calipers may have been designed for a Ford but they were probably made by an outside vendor for Fords.
If Ma Mopar had modern cars with Brakes and hubs with the exact same lug pattern and such, we'd be adapting them to these classics.
So what? I have a Tremec 5 speed, aftermarket A/C, aftermarket wheels, instrument cluster, headlight relays, etc....Who cares where the brakes were originally designed ? The biggest sacrilege is a NON Mopar engine in a Mopar.
Are you running those Ford brakes lol. I mean im running a T-56 Magnum but my excuse is it was originally designed for the Viper lol. You are right about the Vendors. Does Cass grind the FORD logo off? Asking for a friend lol

There will be a new brake technology in 5 minutes so why worry about having the latest greatest thing? It's not going to last. Who are you trying to impress anyway? 99% of all women don't care about the difference between 4 and 6 piston brakes.

I'd personally like to have Doctor Diff's 13" Viper brakes, and I believe those are "only" 2 piston calipers.
I don’t have to impress anybody. My car speaks for itself lol. Viper brakes? Hmmm Wonder if they’d fit 17” rims?

I don’t have to impress anybody. My car speaks for itself lol. Viper brakes? Hmmm Wonder if they’d fit 17” rims?

From Doctor Diff's site -

"** Calipers protrude 0.7" from the wheel mounting surface of the rotor hat. The outside diameter of the caliper measures approximately 16" from the center of the spindle. Check your caliper clearance as most 18" wheels will clear, but poorly designed 17" wheels may not clear."

Are you running those Ford brakes lol. I mean im running a T-56 Magnum but my excuse is it was originally designed for the Viper lol. You are right about the Vendors. Does Cass grind the FORD logo off? Asking for a friend lol
I am a bit curious if you actually laughed out loud three times when you wrote this.

1 hmmmm.jpeg

Nothin' wrong with running Ford brakes
trying to stop that 440. 6 piston cali's
are are waste of $$, and actually
perform worse than a 4 piston
caliper. (less clamping force @ the
back of the rotor, and more flex in
the caliper). Nothing but hype....
I'm also running Ford Pinto spindles.

20180423_164902.jpg
So did this guy....
hrdp-1304-01-where-it-all-began-the-little-red-wagon-1964-dodge-a100-wheelie-angled-view.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys! I’m going with Baer 4 piston. Even the guy I called at Baer told me to run the 4 piston Set up. I took the stencil from Baer and checked my 17” rims and they’ll fit. Got them ordered!

Auto Transport Service
Back