• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 63 64 MAX WEDGE CARS

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. I was under the impression that a factory max wedge car came with hood scoops. I ask because of the recent new member that bought a 63 Savoy Max Wedge but is has flat hood. Did they or not?

I'm a little confused. I was under the impression that a factory max wedge car came with hood scoops. I ask because of the recent new member that bought a 63 Savoy Max Wedge but is has flat hood. Did they or not?
I think 63 and 64 came with scoops not 62.

It needs to be a high compression engine to have a hood scoop. The standard max didn’t get a scoop.

It needs to be a high compression engine to have a hood scoop. The standard max didn’t get a scoop.

Lets talk 63. Whats a "standard" max? Doesn't a max wedge have 2x4 carbs? Doesn't that 2x4 mani need the hood scoop clearance to fit properly. My clone's hood does close without scoops but it does touch and I don't think the factory would have liked the air cleaner to rub the hood. Compression ratio would not enter into hood clearance issues.

Max wedges in 62 and 63 had high compression and low compression versions.
No scoops at all in 62.
As I understand it, the low compression 63s got steel front ends, and no scoop. The high compression versions got aluminum front ends with a scoop.
In 64, early cars were maxwedge, later 64 package cars were race hemis. I think both got scoops, hemi and mw may be different, I don't
know for sure.

After thinking about it, the need for hood clearance must be false if lower comp max's had no scoops. The big question then do the factory low comp max wedge cars have at least the bracing removed from under the hood, without scoops?

After thinking about it, the need for hood clearance must be false if lower comp max's had no scoops. The big question then do the factory low comp max wedge cars have at least the bracing removed from under the hood, without scoops?
I don't know that answer. I have had a maxwedge in my 62 with a slant six hood, but I never ran air cleaners on it, so I don't know if the bracing is a problem.

The 1963 factory low compression cars had the bracing removed from under the hood on cars with no scoop.

The scoop was intended only for the aluminum-nose cars, which also were the high-compression engines.
Some were retro-fitted to steel-nose cars.
Bear in mind that the racers back then modified & updated their cars on pretty much a weekly basis.
No hood scoops of any kind for '62s, and all had the bracing cut as mentioned.
Lots of differences for the Maxies; Jim Schild has a great & detailed book on them.

Darrell Davis

Hood Scoops On Max Wedge Cars​

Occasionally I get emails asking me what Max Wedge cars came with hood scoops. Hood scoops were offered beginning in late February 1963. It was part of an aluminum parts package to take weight off the front end of the Dodges and Plymouths ordered with the 13.5 to 1 max wedge engines. This package consisted of aluminum fenders, hood, hood scoop, front bumper and supports and other front trim bracings.
The hood scoop was offered in the aluminum package for the remainder of the 1963 and all of the 1964 max wedge production. The scoop was not offered separately from the package but I have heard of people that did get one with a steel nose car. One gentleman I know of who was an original owner that bought a 1964 Plymouth Belvedere 11.1 to 1 steel nose hardtop. He ordered with the scoop and the car was delivered with the scoop in the trunk. He was connected with a dealer that had some pull with Chrysler so I do not know how common this was where people could get the scoop by itself.
Cars with these scoops would grab extra air so if you bought one just to look cool you would have to put holes in your steel hood to let the trapped air escape. I would imagine that's why you don't see many originals floating around very often. I must admit they are great looking on the cars but they invite extra maintenance to owners with keeping dirt and weather out of the engine compartment. You must also run the velocity stacks that seal against the hood. Whereas this scoop and velocity stack setup does add extra air to the carbs, it does not offer any good air filtering so it's just not all that practical for street use.
You can find factory referencing to the introduction of the scoop in aluminum package announcement in Darrell Davis's 1963 Plymouth max wedge book.

Hood Scoops On Max Wedge Cars

The best I have come up with in research is that the Max Wedge cars without scoops had the X braces hacked out. Nothing nice, just hacked out for hood clearance. My 62 hood is the best of 2 hoods, with fabrication to make it look factory. I say some fabrication, there is close to 300 hours in it.
20171109_094554.jpg

All Max Wedge cars had the bracing removed for air cleaner clearanc. Stock hoods had the bracing designed to clear the single air cleaner whereas the bracing interfered with the dual offset air cleaners.

not all 63s with hc motors had alloy fronts with scoops but in 64 the only way to get hc was the alloy front on max wedge cars here is my old steel nose hc stick car and the paper work when new and the build sheet

Picture 012.jpg

old blue order paper .jpg

old blue build sheet .jpg

1963's were already out by Nov. 1962. Traded in a Chevy; good choice. LOL.
It says, to be delivered on or about, DEC 63.
That's what I can make out on there.
I know, doesn't make sense.

if you want to know more let me know i had a few real max wedge cars over the years other wise look up Darrel Davis on Facebook

Auto Transport Service
Back