• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 ->64 push button cables?

icetech

Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Hello, so gave up on the poly (opened it up inside is worse than inside the valve covers..) going to pick up a 1964 383 with pushbutton trans locally, I am waiting for a reply if it was a dash pushbutton or console (i think i read they are different) but the thing i was wondering today is are the cable ends the same into the trans? I could swear i read somewhere that the cable ends are different for 1 year but i haven't found that info again.. thanks..

P.S. if it was a console shift 383 could i just swap in the valve body out of my current trans? i am pretty sure yes but making sure.. hate to get it all in and not be able to shift :)

Buttons ended after '64, but cable shift setup remained for only '65

The dash shifter cables are longer than cables for a console shift. But I would think the ends going into the trans would be the same..

https://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/welcome.html

This website has a great article in their tech section about what you will need to make it work.

If memory serves correctly you will need to swap the rooster comb and the manual valve from your 62
transmission valve body to make it work.
You can use the 62 shift cables after you do this because the selector shift cable is different per year model.

https://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/welcome.html

This website has a great article in their tech section about what you will need to make it work.

If memory serves correctly you will need to swap the rooster comb and the manual valve from your 62
transmission valve body to make it work.
You can use the 62 shift cables after you do this because the selector shift cable is different per year model.
Thanks, that's what i was wondering :) I got my motor ready to pull.. this is when having friends would help :) And i got the shifter cable out of the trans without much swearing, a guy posted a video showing exactly how do it or i wouldn't have figured that one out

BTW, what year did the rooster comb change? or is it just if you are going from dash buttons to console?

The hole in the cable ends are a different size depending on year model and
of course pushbutton is different than a console or column shift cable operated transmission.

I have not had a problem with shifter adjustments when I match valve body manual valves and
rooster combs the year model of the car.

It is popular to use a 65 year model auto transmission with a slip yoke to do away with the driveshaft trunnion.

Joe Suchy should have any replacement cables that you may need.

The hole in the cable ends are a different size depending on year model and
of course pushbutton is different than a console or column shift cable operated transmission.

I have not had a problem with shifter adjustments when I match valve body manual valves and
rooster combs the year model of the car.

It is popular to use a 65 year model auto transmission with a slip yoke to do away with the driveshaft trunnion.

Joe Suchy should have any replacement cables that you may need.
Yeah, I bought a '65 trans I've had in my garage for 25 years as part of a buy getting a '65 axle/housing to drop the tapered shafts, thinking I'd use it someday for the advantages you mention. Well, the original '63 keeps working like a champ (later TQ setup though after engine rebuild)...so at my age...the somedays are dwindling, likely will try to sell it...

Cable and push button use a different cables, rooster comb, manual valve, and neutral safety switch. I have access to manual valves and rooster combs .
Doug

Cable and push button use a different cables, rooster comb, manual valve, and neutral safety switch. I have access to manual valves and rooster combs .
Doug
A while back I saw that some company made adapters to use push button cable shift with modern 727s. Anyone know if they're still out there?

A while back I saw that some company made adapters to use push button cable shift with modern 727s. Anyone know if they're still out there?

Well.. it will probably be moot, i have started looking for a modern 360 which would use the same trans and be fine for a daily driver.. Maybe LS if i found a cheap one, and give up on the pushbutton.

Auto Transport Service
Back