• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Fury - Advise on 413, 426 Wedge or 440

Chairman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
The 440 that happened to be in my black 62 Fury when I bought it is a 1977. I was told that the car was built with a 318 and that is long gone. Just wondering as I go to the expense of rebuilding an RB and before I sink dough into this current 440 perhaps now it the time to go with a more date correct engine. So would some of you guys share an opinion of a 413? Or I found a 426 Wedge and realize it wasn't until 1963 that those were used but very rare and cool to own, right? But I was raised "there's no replacement for displacement" and gather up a thicker walled 440 block? Not building to race it so I don't need the ultimate in power either. I'm not really sure why but I'm thinking about what I would have done in 1967 when I first bought my 1962 Plymouth with it's 225 slant six. On this build I intend to install the Edelbrock performance top end package with fuel injection so it really isn't about what looks factory correct! More about what would be the most desirable thing to have in this 1962 Plymouth Fury? Got an opinion or recommendation to share?? Thanks!

JMO I would locate 413 M/T from a 62 NY or imperial.
That way you could use the
push button trans.
Reproduction max wedge headers.

You already have a 440. There is no reason to go backwards and put a smaller cubic inch version of the RB in there instead.
Nobody is going to care what casting # is on the block.

What is the importance of a "date-correct" engine, when you then state it's not about what's factory correct. You already got a 440. Why anything else ???? You already got what you need.

The 440 that happened to be in my black 62 Fury when I bought it is a 1977. I was told that the car was built with a 318 and that is long gone. Just wondering as I go to the expense of rebuilding an RB and before I sink dough into this current 440 perhaps now it the time to go with a more date correct engine. So would some of you guys share an opinion of a 413? Or I found a 426 Wedge and realize it wasn't until 1963 that those were used but very rare and cool to own, right? But I was raised "there's no replacement for displacement" and gather up a thicker walled 440 block? Not building to race it so I don't need the ultimate in power either. I'm not really sure why but I'm thinking about what I would have done in 1967 when I first bought my 1962 Plymouth with it's 225 slant six. On this build I intend to install the Edelbrock performance top end package with fuel injection so it really isn't about what looks factory correct! More about what would be the most desirable thing to have in this 1962 Plymouth Fury? Got an opinion or recommendation to share?? Thanks!
Like mentioned already, why not keep the engine you have? And the thin wall blocks is a myth.....it was supposed to happen but it never did. But what you need to do before building any engine is to sonic check the walls that's there. Core shift was more of a problem back then.

I have to agree with the above. If your car came as a 413 Maxie, I might want to locate a like block. But I see no reason not to use what you have. At the end of the day, you'll still have an amazing '62 Fury no mater if it's a vintage 413 or a newer 440.
As for the most desirable thing? Well either a 4 speed or Jessica Alba.

Going to a 413 or 426 wedge is no bargain. Only if freshly rebuilt by competent builder and a bargain price would I go with 413/426w. Your car isn't more valuable being a stock car. A well thought out build is the way to go. Unless the 440 can't be over bored to next size up use it.

I have to agree with the above. If your car came as a 413 Maxie, I might want to locate a like block. But I see no reason not to use what you have. At the end of the day, you'll still have an amazing '62 Fury no mater if it's a vintage 413 or a newer 440.
As for the most desirable thing? Well either a 4 speed or Jessica Alba.
Jessica is nice but she will most likely cost way more than that Fury will lol

no replacement for displacement is a good choice ! but the 413 or 426 wedge is also very cool and great running engines . all good choices for different reasons . the 440 will no dought be the best h.p. per dollar . but 413 or 426 kinda fit the year . i’ve also saw a 440 dressed to look like an early engine , so many damn choices….

20210830_173918.jpg

What size is this one?

Terrific response, opinions and advise.... Exactly what I need to proceed and nobody better to ask than the guys on this Forum! Thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts.

Damn you're good..
So, that's what that engine is? I've actually never seen one but only assumed it was built like all the other RB blocks. I know there were some changes made to the outside water jacket wall on the later years but am not aware of any other things that may have changed over the years.

So, that's what that engine is? I've actually never seen one but only assumed it was built like all the other RB blocks. I know there were some changes made to the outside water jacket wall on the later years but am not aware of any other things that may have changed over the years.
Well... not really.
It's a 440 built like the trickflow dyno mule.

JMO date correct drive train adds
value to project.
Novelties like being able to use push button shifter vs aftermarket.
Being able to use factory trans park brake.
Details like 4 bolt vs 6 bolt valve covers.
Correct inlet/outlet water pump
housing for radiator.
Matching pulley and brackets etc.

On this build I intend to install the Edelbrock performance top end package with fuel injection so it really isn't about what looks factory correct!

JMO date correct drive train adds
value to project.
Novelties like being able to use push button shifter vs aftermarket.
Being able to use factory trans park brake.
Details like 4 bolt vs 6 bolt valve covers.
Correct inlet/outlet water pump
housing for radiator.
Matching pulley and brackets etc.

Terrific response, opinions and advise.... Exactly what I need to proceed and nobody better to ask than the guys on this Forum! Thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts.

The 440 is much easier to find rebuilding parts for than the 413/426.

Build the 440 and dress it up as a 413 Max Wedge. Hundreds have done it.

Auto Transport Service
Back