• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Fury convertible update

djohn658

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
I got to tinker a little bit before it got too cold up here in SE MI. And I'm just tickled pink!!! The carb has been removed, and cleaned. I soaked it in cider vinegar for a couple of days and the lower butterfly isn't stuck anymore.. It moves like it should. The engine hasn't run since 1970. I was afraid the motor was seized. After soaking the upper cylinders with a mix of Marvelous Mystery Oil and ATF for a couple of weeks, I was able to take a breaker bar to the crank of the 318 Poly, and it spun over without much trouble. I hooked up a jumper pack and then spun it over with the starter. WOOHOO! The motor isn't seized! I picked up tune up parts, and if it ever warms up again I am going to see if the motor will run on a cheater can of fuel..... Doing the Happy Dance!!!!!

Glad to hear that you are having success with the old car. cold on this side of the pond, hope the weather worms up so I can get into my garage to finish my stroke for my 62

Cool!
THAT is a plus!
Glad you can spin the 318!
Next step?
Re-build or throw gas in her and see if it will fire?
My money is that it will "fire right up"

Next step is to wait for the temps to get above ZERO. Then it's gonna be plugs, wires, points filing and fuel down the throat. If it's a runner, and not smoking like hell, that's all the further it's going.

Auto Transport Service
Back