• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Plymouth Door Window Removal

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
I have rebuilt engines, transmissions and a ton of other useful fixits but I had never taken out door windows or regulators....

Until now.

Couldn't find any info on my particular car (1962 Plymouth 4 door) so I just dove in head first and took pictures. This may not be the most correct method, but hey, it worked for me.

For the front doors:
1. Remove all interior hardware on the door to get at the guts. Once the door shell is revealed you will see 7 bolts. These hold the regulator to the door.
20141207_221839.jpg
20141207_221902.jpg

2. With the window rolled down just above the access hole in the bottom of the door, you will see the regulator arms that attach to the window track. There are 2 snap washers that need to be removed but they are on the back side (I had to use a mirror to see them). I popped the washers off with a small flathead screwdriver. There is a plastic washer on the front and back of the regulator arms for each window (total of 4 per window, these are reproduced as i found sets on ebay).
20141207_222249.jpg

20141207_222517.jpg

20141207_230400.jpg

3. With these popped off I pushed the pin back towards the inside and moved them down below the window track. The window is now free, kind of. I couldn't get the darned thing out. Sooo...

4. Remove the 7 regulator bolts pictured above. This did the trick for me as the window slid out of the track and I lifted it out the top on the interior side of the door frame.
20141207_223918.jpg

5. Remove the lower bolt on the front vent window frame. It is attached to a welded in bracket on the bottom. And also remove the single phillips head screw on the top of the door frame.
20141207_223144.jpg

6. The vent window frame is now loose. Pull it straight back, you may have to wiggle it a bit, and then remove.
20141207_224755.jpg

7. You can now remove the regulator and all its' dangly pieces through the access hole in the lower section of the door. For me it took some maneuvering and cut up hands before it came out.

To install it, I took a picture of its orientation in the door so I should be able to get it in right.
20141207_224939.jpg

Rear Doors:

Much easier...
1. Pop the snap washers off of the door track to regulator arms.
2. Lift window out inside top of window opening.
3 Remove 6 regulator screws ( The rear 2 actually hold the regulator arm track to the door so remove and slide bracket off of regulator arm).
4. Slip regulator assembly out of access hole in lower door frame.
20141208_013102.jpg

Now the window track rubber and sweeps can be removed and replaced if necessary. I didn't plan on going this far as i was only planning on a repaint but you know how that goes. $600 later:icon_biggrin:

Hope this helps some others.

Attachments

• 20141207_221902.jpg
    20141207_221902.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Thanks for the information and pics. I wish there were more members with this kind of "how to".................MO

I have rebuilt engines, transmissions and a ton of other useful fixits but I had never taken out door windows or regulators....

Until now.

Couldn't find any info on my particular car (1962 Plymouth 4 door) so I just dove in head first and took pictures. This may not be the most correct method, but hey, it worked for me.

For the front doors:
1. Remove all interior hardware on the door to get at the guts. Once the door shell is revealed you will see 7 bolts. These hold the regulator to the door.
View attachment 225826
View attachment 225836

2. With the window rolled down just above the access hole in the bottom of the door, you will see the regulator arms that attach to the window track. There are 2 snap washers that need to be removed but they are on the back side (I had to use a mirror to see them). I popped the washers off with a small flathead screwdriver. There is a plastic washer on the front and back of the regulator arms for each window (total of 4 per window, these are reproduced as i found sets on ebay).
View attachment 225828

View attachment 225829

View attachment 225835

3. With these popped off I pushed the pin back towards the inside and moved them down below the window track. The window is now free, kind of. I couldn't get the darned thing out. Sooo...

4. Remove the 7 regulator bolts pictured above. This did the trick for me as the window slid out of the track and I lifted it out the top on the interior side of the door frame.
View attachment 225831

5. Remove the lower bolt on the front vent window frame. It is attached to a welded in bracket on the bottom. And also remove the single phillips head screw on the top of the door frame.
View attachment 225832

6. The vent window frame is now loose. Pull it straight back, you may have to wiggle it a bit, and then remove.
View attachment 225833

7. You can now remove the regulator and all its' dangly pieces through the access hole in the lower section of the door. For me it took some maneuvering and cut up hands before it came out.

To install it, I took a picture of its orientation in the door so I should be able to get it in right.
View attachment 225834

Rear Doors:

Much easier...
1. Pop the snap washers off of the door track to regulator arms.
2. Lift window out inside top of window opening.
3 Remove 6 regulator screws ( The rear 2 actually hold the regulator arm track to the door so remove and slide bracket off of regulator arm).
4. Slip regulator assembly out of access hole in lower door frame.
View attachment 225837

Now the window track rubber and sweeps can be removed and replaced if necessary. I didn't plan on going this far as i was only planning on a repaint but you know how that goes. $600 later:icon_biggrin:

Hope this helps some others.
I have a 1964 Plymouth Fury that i recently purchased that had the drivers window down about half way and would not roll up. Thanks to this post I was able to get the regulator out and see that one of those spring clips had popped off not allowing the regulator to operate the window. I think that was because the tracks, rollers, etc. were all gummed up. After cleaning, lubricating and reassembling it everything works great!!! Thanks!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back