• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Savoy wagon brakes

62savoyguy2

Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
Am in the process of buying a 62 Savoy Wagon, 318, auto. Will look at car soon and purchase. Needs front brakes says present owner. I would like to upgrade to dual master cylinder. Anyone know exactly what parts I will need to make this a safe and easy job?

I used 73 up A body disc brakes and master cylinder on my 65 coronet station wagon when I changed it over. Most of the 73 up single piston caliper set ups will work. A body, F body aspens, lots of different cars. Just make sure you get the spindle, and caliper mounts most the other parts you can buy new. Matt

62 savoy brakes

Am in the process of buying a 62 Savoy Wagon, 318, auto. Will look at car soon and purchase. Needs front brakes says present owner. I would like to upgrade to dual master cylinder. Anyone know exactly what parts I will need to make this a safe and easy job?

Thanks, Matt

I would be willing to bet that the rear brakes probably need done too, especially if the wagon still has the original tapered axle rear in it. Most guys wait till the rear brakes are completely trashed until they go through all the hassle of pulling the drums to do them. If you have never pulled tapered axle drums before there are several good threads on this forum about the proper way to do it. Good luck.

Thanks. I will be changing over to the one piece axles on the rear also, and bigger brakes. My dad was a Mopar mechanic in the 60's and we owned a lot of those cars, so I know what a pain those tapered drums are to get off. Watched my dad and helped out. His answer a big bad slide hammer!!!

Thanks. I will be changing over to the one piece axles on the rear also, and bigger brakes. My dad was a Mopar mechanic in the 60's and we owned a lot of those cars, so I know what a pain those tapered drums are to get off. Watched my dad and helped out. His answer a big bad slide hammer!!!

62savoyguy

The drums have always been the issue but there is no need to change the axle.
This site tells you how to make them a slide off drum like the 65 and newer axles.
Here is all the info you need!!

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Mopar_tapered_axle_rear_brake_conversion

Hope this will help
Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back