• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.620 purple shaft

67charger383

Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
Will it work ok for my engine combo?

Bored 30 over 383 Magnum, forged crank and rods, 12-1 TRW L2293 dome pistons, 915 heads, Weiand tunnel ram, Milodon gear drive, and Milodon oil pan

Car has 4.11 gears and it's setup for E85

Will it be streetable with E85? I have plans to get a gearvendors in the future.

mopar-620-mechanical-purple-shaft-cam-kit-12.png

That is a lot of duration for a 383...even w 12:1. That particular cam is going to need a good set of heads, 5k+ stall and 5.13s in a tunnel ram 383. You can get that much lift or more with less duration with a different grind. I would not get a MP cam anymore, there are better grinds available that can be bought cheaper and ground using better technology.. Mp is living off their heritage from 30 years ago to sell cams. We have tons of better options. 4.10 is not that low of gear in a 383. You can over cam it pretty easily. High compression helps. I highly recommend figuring what the compression is first.
Aftermarket rods or oem? What transmission?

Last edited:
Fairly weak TQ even in a 13:1 440.

Decent top end power, but not earth shattering.

Probably wouldn’t be terrible in a high CR 383(13.5:1+)in a dragster or altered with a 6000 stall......... but wouldn’t be great either.

Measured duration @.050 is 283.

I wouldn’t even consider it in a 383 for a heavy door car.

It won’t like to be run with mufflers at all.

I’d be surprised if it’s actually still available.

I agree with the guys above. Old design, not sure it worked all that well 40 years ago. Deep gears, high flash converter, needed even with 440+ cubes.

I agree with the guys above. Old design, not sure it worked all that well 40 years ago. Deep gears, high flash converter, needed even with 440+ cubes.
Have another more mild cam I’m looking at. Lol the FABO guys told me the .620 would work just fine

I'm agreeing with the board. Today? Because of the custom grinds? Cam is like the last choice. Comp cams? Tell them what you got and application? They will grind a cam with recommended lifters to most head setups. For like $100 more than in box. JMO of course.

Have another more mild cam I’m looking at. Lol the FABO guys told me the .620 would work just fine
The heads are your limiting factor. The 557 would be a better choice.
You don't have enough head for anything more. maybe a 590. maybe
That's if your set on an old school grind.

My baseline cam for the 426W or 440's was either my General Kinetics 585/585 308/308 or the Cam Dynamics 565/585 300/310(265/270*@.050). These are also "old school" grinds, but sure seemed to make more power than the Direct Connection/Mopar Performance grinds. I used these for my drag race motors and the CD also in my 500" street motor. A more modern grind would likely have smaller .050 duration & wider lobe centers than the old school stuff.

A cam is really about the last item you need to decide on for a build.

There should be an overall theme to the build direction, and all the selected parts should be compatible with each other.
The cam is no different....... although the exact one doesn’t need to be selected until near the end of the build process........ when the rest of the package has narrowed down.

The cam, converter, & gearing really should all be on the same page, and should all be considered when selecting which engine components to use.

There should be a fairly clear picture of what the final engine/car package will be like.

I would say this is mostly true for cars where the engine build is largely dictated by an ET target.

Auto Transport Service
Back