• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 b body switching from sb to rb k frame oil pan interferance question

funnycar

Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
when switching from a 63 b body factory sb to rb engine what oil pan gets ran ? rear sump or mid sump?.been 20 plus years did my last one converstion cant rember .
thank you

On my milodon, center sump pan, I had to make a small notch in the k-frame on the passenger side. About an inch cut out of the lip. super easy. 63 savoy.

On my '63 330, I took a wheel grinder, and just removed as much as possible, before hitting the spot welds, on the passenger side corner of the K-member. You have to really look to see it's been modded, and gave plenty of clearance. Take a look at one assembled, you'll know how much to do. I also used a Milodon pan...

My 65 has the Milodon 7 quart pan with the notch in the K member. The original pans for these are getting pretty hard to find. A lot of controversy on which of the later pans will fit without steering interference. Now that reproduction max wedge pans are available that seems like the way to go, that’s what I have for my 64.

original early B body B/RB pan
3A5F9D5F-5855-400D-9DB5-BAAD7334C26A.jpeg
189F4C91-A6BE-45A5-971E-AFA5BD195599.jpeg

I think the k member shape is the same for the big block and small block, just the mounts were different. I ran the milodon 30930, low profile triangulated center sump on my 62, but i have a big block k. There was a slight trimming of the right front of the k. The pan i am using now, also a deep pan but of unknown manufacturer, needed a little more trimming, the same place,drivers side front corner of the sump.
Problem areas seem to be pan depth too deep in front of the sump (on top of the k) and a sump too far back for steering clearance.

Auto Transport Service
Back