• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'63 Dodge 440 (383 engine) Ballast Resistor

Everyone arguing about ballast resistors , abbreviations that went way off topic , Really

And the initial poster still has not given us any information to go on

Other then the word "Pertronix"

Sorry, I've been away for a bit.

Sadly, Pertronix is the only information he has on the ignition system. He bought the car with the conversion done by the previous owner.

He sent a couple of pictures that may help

IMG_4028.JPG
IMG_4029.JPG
IMG_4030.JPG
IMG_4031.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG

The Mopar part #MP24441641 0.25 Ohm ballast resistor is out of production, I do have a spare that I will release but it isn't cheap. Send me a PM if any interest..

Just my $0.02..

DartGTDan

Thats either the Pertronix 1 or 11 Igniter Conversion kit for a points distributor

Hopefully someone can confirm that number on top to verify

Is there a sticker on the opposite side ?

NO Ballast Resistor required with either

Full 12 Volts for that system

Next , what coil is he running

Last edited:
Does anybody know what the 0.25 ohm bal res was used for looks to be about a 1964 part number?
Could it be with a special coil, transistor ign, on race Hemis?

Race only. for the gold or chrome box to run a short time only Not street use at all they will burn out the components.! They are in the MP catalogues only.

Last edited:
Thats for the mopar chrome ecu. Here is a fast chart not for points.

View attachment 1348914

View attachment 1348915
Thanks for the charts Ray! Found the hidden box today on my '66 HP2's hemi and it's running a P4120534. I'd better check my ballast resistor value to make sure it's not a 0.25... I hate walking!! (although I do have a spare blue box/ballast and tools in the glove box so I don't have to...)

Last edited:
Ray,
I see that from the chart that the 0.25 ohm is used with 'race only' ECUs. But my point was the 244****** part number is early-mid 60s, way before the introduction of elec ign. So the question is what ign system was it originally used with?

Where do you get P2444641 as a year 1964 part # ?

Where do you get P2444641 as a year 1964 part # ?
Part was still available through Mopar up to about 5 years ago. Worked incredibly well with the mopar electronic distributor, MSD Blaster coil, and chrome box, I installed many of these systems. I know there are some newer systems but I still prefer running some of the older, vintage recommended mopar ignition systems..
Just my $0.02...

Part was still available through Mopar up to about 5 years ago. Worked incredibly well with the mopar electronic distributor, MSD Blaster coil, and chrome box, I installed many of these systems. I know there are some newer systems but I still prefer running some of the older, vintage recommended mopar ignition systems..
Just my $0.02...
Like fine wine......some things get better with age.....especially compared to the current Chinese venue.....
BOB RENTON

Post #28. I said about 1964. Chry used sequential part numbering & from other known part #s of that era, it is around that time.
Another tip off: adj rocker arm pre-64 #2402521. Post 63 adjustable #2463242.

Thanks for the charts Ray! Found the hidden box today on my '66 HP2's hemi and it's running a P4120534. I'd better check my ballast resistor value to make sure it's not a 0.25... I hate walking!! (although I do have a spare blue box/ballast and tools in the glove box so I don't have to...)

ECUApplication.jpg

OK you can use a higher value resistor, ballast that is but it degrades the amount of rpm the box will produce, but will generate less heat internally. If on the street I would bo around a .7 or so.

My input is based on my use I have use the Crome box and .025 ballast resistor with the msd blaster 2 coil on 4 cars over a span of 22 years Hemi's six packs and currently a 383 ,over 1100 miles this summer alone on the 383 in fact the current components are from one of my hemi cars. That is my real world experience the question was asked what balasist resister to use and it's been my understanding it was the coil that is being used and or ecu box or both . But people getting there shorts in a knot over the exact wording and decimal point location dose not help I put my two cents in and what I knew for a fact .

In 1971, i had a Dodge Charger WP23U1A******, 440 HP, 727B TF, 3.55 gears, etc. In looking for easy extra, cheap HP like everyone else, I converted to electronic ignition and a "hot, high output coil, that delivered blazing acceleration performance"....can't recall the brand name, may have been Accel. The system used the #4129889 box an two (2) standard Mopar 0.5 ohm ballast resistors in parallel (which net a 0.25 ohm total resistance). The system worked, but, I did not realize the "blazing acceleration" promised, and one could see the ballast resistor elements actually "glowing" like a toaster, when viewed at nite when the engine was running. After a few weeks operation, the ECU failed on the road, after a tow home, I removed all the extra stuff l had added, and went back to OEM points and regained all the blazing acceleration that the modifications promised to deliver....but didn't.....lesson learned.......to each his/her own....or "you cannot get something for nothing"...... Just talking out loud....
BOB RENTON

My input is based on my use I have use the Crome box and .025 ballast resistor with the msd blaster 2 coil on 4 cars over a span of 22 years Hemi's six packs and currently a 383 ,over 1100 miles this summer alone on the 383 in fact the current components are from one of my hemi cars. That is my real world experience the question was asked what balasist resister to use and it's been my understanding it was the coil that is being used and or ecu box or both . But people getting there shorts in a knot over the exact wording and decimal point location dose not help I put my two cents in and what I knew for a fact .
IMO.......0.025 ohms is significant difference from 0.25 ohms....regardless of which coil or ECU is used......just something to consider.....
BOB RENTON

Oh my sorry again 1/4 ,quarter ,0.25 .25 on and on ………I will just keep my info to myself and let the arm chair experts and know it alls have at it good luck.

As I already posted my opinion/experience using certain vintage mopar ignition components(distributor, chrome box, 0.25 Ballast resistor) box there is a major factor frequently overlooked, that is their mounting locations. Most of the installs I have seen the ballast resistor and ignition box are all mounted on the firewall next to the voltage regulator, and the firewall surface can get quite hot which just raises the temperature of each ignition component. In my installs I have mounted the ignition box down on top of the frame rail facing up just opposite of the alternator, this location is significantly cooler than the firewall as there is air flow down there when moving. Bottom line is the ignition box loses a lot of switching efficiency when its temperature gets too hot..

Just my $0.02...

All these comments & experiences with ign systems show important it is to make sure the correct......& matching parts are used.

Auto Transport Service
Back