• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Polara AC Expansion Valve

fmahannah

1963 Dodge Polara Max Wedge Tribute
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Got the AC working on my Polara but does not work when going down the highway. Blows cold at idle. Just did a test with guages and when I rev to 2000 or so the low side jumps over 60, high side stays the same, and compressor kicks off. Kicks back in as soon as throttle drops back down. Everything I have read says expansion valve, even though the entire system is supposed to be new and install by PO.

Anyhow, I looked up valves available and I see one with a little coil of copper wire at the end and another that appears to have a bulb. Looked in factory manual and it talks about the bulb and shims or some such. Looked in my engine compartment and everything looks easy to disconnect EXCEPT that little copper tube goes into the firewall ...

My question then is can I replace the expansion valve without having to pull everything out from under the dash? I don't want to start trying to pull the copper tube from the hole without knowing that it does not work that way.

Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back