• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Savoy master cylinder upgrade.

Hello Guys,

I'm working on my 64 Fury and have been contemplating switching out the front brakes to power discs. The more I dig into this more I see that this isn't quite as straight forward as it should seem. So, now I'm considering just switching to a dual master cylinder and keep the drum brakes. Any thoughts? How "Good" are non powered drum brakes? I bought the car as a "Roller" so I've never driven it.

That is what I am running on my 63. Non power drum brakes with a dual master up grade.
If you are not used to driving anything non power, it will take a few stops to adjust your driving skills to.
There is brake fade if multiple braking is required but you will easily adjust.
I had non power 4 wheel discs on my 65 Hemi Belvedere and the 63 stops about the same.
I added power disc brakes to my 63 Valiant. No harder to do than anything else.
If your gonna do it might as well do power discs.
Look up Dr Diff as he is a member here and has everything you need to up grade your car.
He has a nice web site to scan thru.

That is what I am running on my 63. Non power drum brakes with a dual master up grade.
If you are not used to driving anything non power, it will take a few stops to adjust your driving skills to.
There is brake fade if multiple braking is required but you will easily adjust.
I had non power 4 wheel discs on my 65 Hemi Belvedere and the 63 stops about the same.
I added power disc brakes to my 63 Valiant. No harder to do than anything else.
If your gonna do it might as well do power discs.
Look up Dr Diff as he is a member here and has everything you need to up grade your car.
He has a nice web site to scan thru.
Thanks for the info!!! I've swapped some e-mails with Cass from Dr. Diff and he says he's unaware of a power brake booster that will bolt up to my car without the booster sticking up above the hood. He says he sold a Hemi unit to guy and the guy had to rederill the firewall. Two vendors of the MBM disc brake system says their kit will work but the guys at Pirate Jack says my car isn't on their fitment list and Pirate Jack is a good bit cheaper than the other two. Eric, from Pirate jack, is supposed to call MBM this week and try to verify. His contact at MBM was on vacation last week. If they will guarantee it to work that's the route I think I'll go

Right Side.jpg

Hello Guys,

I'm working on my 64 Fury and have been contemplating switching out the front brakes to power discs. The more I dig into this more I see that this isn't quite as straight forward as it should seem. So, now I'm considering just switching to a dual master cylinder and keep the drum brakes. Any thoughts? How "Good" are non powered drum brakes? I bought the car as a "Roller" so I've never driven it.
They’ll stop the car. But they suck.

I just looked up LEED brakes at Summits web. #LEB-FC2002-8405 It says 62-up B body.
Many different part# with Summit .I have no Idea how much or how little you have to spend.
Mancini racing has several too that are mix and match for price point. Their web states for early B
#BCK8536-1 or BCK8536-2 but the photos are of a different booster/master. That I would call about as they are MOPAR specific..
Summit some times when calling you get someone that has no Idea about Mopars.
So there ya go.I use the Pirate Jack booster (8'') on my 63 Valiant and had no problem with hood clearance.

Last edited:
I just looked up LEED brakes at Summits web. #LEB-FC2002-8405 It says 62-up B body.
Many different part# with Summit .I have no Idea how much or how little you have to spend.
Mancini racing has several too that are mix and match for price point. Their web states for early B
#BCK8536-1 or BCK8536-2 but the photos are of a different booster/master. That I would call about as they are MOPAR specific..
Summit some times when calling you get someone that has no Idea about Mopars.
So there ya go.I use the Pirate Jack booster (8'') on my 63 Valiant and had no problem with hood clearance.
Mancini is one of the MBM vendors that I spoke with that said their kit would work. It's the same exact part # as Pirate Jack and Pirate Jack is almost $350.00 cheaper!!!

I got mine from Piratejack... best price plus free shipping... easy choice

It pays to shop. I don't get parts houses that charge for shipping no matter how much you spend.
I have been looking for a windshield for the 63. Prices vary between $279 to over $500.
Shipping for the $279 is $225. I found a place local and will see what they charge.
If it is around $800 to $1000 installed I'll just let them.That way if they break it it's on their dime.
If so it will be the most expensive part on the car...
Good luck with your endeavor .

It pays to shop. I don't get parts houses that charge for shipping no matter how much you spend.
I have been looking for a windshield for the 63. Prices vary between $279 to over $500.
Shipping for the $279 is $225. I found a place local and will see what they charge.
If it is around $800 to $1000 installed I'll just let them.That way if they break it it's on their dime.
If so it will be the most expensive part on the car...
Good luck with your endeavor .
I ran into the very same thing a couple of years ago when I was restoring my 69 Chevy pick up a couple of years ago. I found a local shop that furnished and installed the windshield for about $200.00 less than me ordering and paying shipping

Thanks folks. I ended up buying one for a 67 Coronet. It seems to work great. I still have to try it on the road yet but it stops great in our Lakeway lol.

I was good with 4 wheel non power drum brakes untill I went 10.60 @ 127 mph and the pucker factor kicked in. I installed SSBC front discos,non power with a master from a 67 plymouth.Now I can stop from almost 150 MPH without staining myself.........

42683503_1449205578557330_4522841501763371008_n.jpg

OIP.jpg

Quick update. I received my new Booster/MC from Pirate Jack Saturday and mocked it up. After trying all three of the levers that came with it I think I have the correct brake pedal ratio. I stretched a sting across the fenders/cowl area because of the height. It actually does protrude slightly above the fenders but after getting help setting the hood on it appears to fit. It does have a little "Rock" in it around the booster but the hood needs to come up about 3/8 of an inch in that corner. When I looked through the grille opening the hood insulation is pressed. Pirate Jack assured me it would fir so... I hope to get the engine bay painted this week and start reassembling everything

Booster Right Side.jpg

Booster Left Side.jpg

Hood On After Booster.jpg

You could slot the booster bracket to firewall to lower it 1/8''-3/16'' without any booster push rod problems.

I put NOS asbestos pads in my non power dart drums, it was 200% improvement over modern non-asbestos pads…

Check with a member MobileParts. If he is still around Sells lots of Mopar NOS brake parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back