• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Fury B-Body Front Turn Signal Indicators Issue

JJordan1173

Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

Electrical issue here.

When I use my right turn signal both left and right indicators flash in front. The left signal works as desired. Rear signals both work as desired.

I have a service manual and I am in the process of analyzing the diagram. I have hunch a wire is touching something it should not. Really not sure yet. Any ideas or tips would be helpful. Thanks.

34468022-1964-plymouth-fury-std.jpg

Sometimes a bulb will cause feed back problems causing both bulbs to light. The bulb is searching for a ground.Try changing the bulb.
Nice 64 more door I have a 63. Welcome !

Sometimes a bulb will cause feed back problems causing both bulbs to light. The bulb is searching for a ground.Try changing the bulb.
Nice 64 more door I have a 63. Welcome !
I will give that a go. Best to replace both or which side in particular?

I will give that a go. Best to replace both or which side in particular?
I did actually notice a few days back that my left low beam light bulb was flickering. It cut out after awhile, so I did not change it. Could it be related?

Yes sounds like a ground problem for sure. I'd replace both bulbs. If it was mine I'd replace the rear bulbs too.

Grounds, grounds and grounds. Check the grounds. The ones on the headlight harness. You'll find wires with a screw through the eyelet fastened to the radiator support. Clean and reinstall. Check bulb sockets for continuity.

Yes sounds like a ground problem for sure. I'd replace both bulbs. If it was mine I'd replace the rear bulbs too.
Anyone have any idea of where I can find the grounds for my front indicators? Also the grounds for my dashboard lights? Noob here and the electrical diagrams are giving me trouble. Thanks all.

I had the same issue with my front turn signal, iirc the ground for the turn signal on the '64 is the housing itself to the bumper with the screw, poor ground at best.
Cleaned it up, and I may have run a wire from the screw to the headlight ground on the radiator support.

Also, changed the flasher to the NAPA solid state.

That made the flashers work like a new car, and helped with my dim dash lights.
Also, working the dimmer on the light switch back and forth helped the dash lights.

I agree with matthon . Clean,clean,clean. Had to do the same with my 63.

Hello All,
So I cleaned the the ground attached to the radiator and took out the bulbs and cleaned the socket and the bulbs. No change, both front indicators are still flashing when I engage my right turn signal.
Would it really be of benefit to replace both bulbs?
I see the wire as it comes out of the firewall and runs past the battery and then splits just after the radiator as it runs to each of the housing units. Could there be a damaged wire that is causing both signals to flash? I also replaced all the fuses as a precaution.
Thanks again for the help!

I don't know if you got this fixed yet but as matthon said, the ground for the parking/turn signal housing is through the screws of the housing to the bumper, not the ground on the radiator support.

As some of the others have pointed out, the bulb grounds to the socket which grounds to the housing which grounds to the bumper which grounds to the body etc. I can't remember if the housing is stamped or cast but over time the junction between the socket and the housing is an area that may be very difficult to correct. If you are a crafty sort you may be able to get a ground wire/connection directly on the outside of the socket. I did this on my Challenger. Ron Francis also makes a bulb housing which may help. You take out the old one and retro fit theirs.
TR-33 2 Billet Sockets w/boots double staggered filament

Auto Transport Service
Back