• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Fury door weathersrip problem

joelrpo687

Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys-I have a 64 Fury convertible.I installed new door weatherstrips-windlace thingy's.The piece that goes on the pinchweld and under the sill plates.My doors no longer shut.The new rubbers when compressed measure .200 bigger than the old ones.Has anyone found any parts that will actually fit? Thanks

It takes time for them to "shrink" to size (not the best analogy) so just slam the door for now and in time it will take less effort to close them.

Door won't shut-can only slam it to the first stop.Weathersrips have been on for a month and I think they're just too fat.I'm going to remove them and try on my originals but I'd like to know who makes the best repros.Thanks

You might have to tweak the pinch weld,or readjust the door itself!

Try [email protected] I got mine from him for my 63 and they work well.

Joel,
Email Joe. He's the 64 expert. I think he now owns one of every 64 model made. He sells a ton of early b body parts at good prices and great service. Tell him coloradodave sent you...

Last edited:
Thanks Dave and everyone who replied-I put my old weatherstrips back in and they work fine-too bad they're blue and the interior is red now.I'll try some other vendors-Thanks again

I had to move the pinch weld flange a little. My doors are cut out ahollow. They moved a little at first but they shut like new now. My weather stripping came from Jim Kramer.
Doug

There is only ONE company that repos them and they are sold by everybody and their brother. I too can not get my doors to close. I have tweaked the pinch weld , made more holes in the rubber, cut out the back sides, you name it I did it and the doors will not shut. The repo s are toooooo fat. I am looking for a decent set of used ones. Anybody out there have a good set of blue ones? Rear 4 door ones would be perfect because they will not be as used.

I can see we have the same problem.The repro's when clamped in a vise are still too fat.The sill plate won't fit over them properly.I think I'm going to dye my blue one's red.They are mostly faded and cracked but the doors close.My interior guy said he could use the cloth part from a Mustang because that is thinner and glue on a thinner rubber-If I find a easier solution or a better product I'll post it for you.

I put a ratchet strap across both doors with the door hardware removed. pulled them very tight. Let them set for a few weeks. Now they work fine.

I thought of that too but since I've been installing the interior and wiring ratcheting the doors together seemed like a pain but the seals I had are really fat.Where did you get your seals from=Thanks

There is only ONE company that repos them and they are sold by everybody and their brother. I too can not get my doors to close. I have tweaked the pinch weld , made more holes in the rubber, cut out the back sides, you name it I did it and the doors will not shut. The repo s are toooooo fat. I am looking for a decent set of used ones. Anybody out there have a good set of blue ones? Rear 4 door ones would be perfect because they will not be as used.
It was not that big a deal. Look at the fit.
Doug

Attachments

• 0804121204.jpg
    0804121204.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 239
I thought of that too but since I've been installing the interior and wiring ratcheting the doors together seemed like a pain but the seals I had are really fat.Where did you get your seals from=Thanks

I got mine from Legendary. When I pulled the door together without the latches, they pulled 1/4" passed the latch point. That's what put the correct set on the weather strips.

I guess it's my time to chime in: I've restored two 63's (1-Vert) and one 64 and have run into the exact same situation when finishing them. This is definitely a very frustrating thing to run across when you're trying to get it finally done and looking good! I've tried every windlace repop out there and had the best success with the SuperSoft line of natural rubber products. They are made similiar to the factory originals. I think they advertise on this B-Body forum also. They ain't cheap tho!! With regard to the 64 Plymouth; I used the red SuperSoft Windlaces and it was a tight fit. Still had to shut the door harder than I like. As said by a few others; I then had to bend the pinch weld inward slightly and reinstalled the Windlace. Now they fit great and all is well. Hope it works for you too!!

Last edited:
First;DVW,your car gave me a woodie.:pumping heart::pumping heart::pumping heart: Abso-freaking-lutely stunning. I love that color. OK,slow down,heartbeat...:pumping heart:

Second;great advice,guys;I'll be looking at that down the road and this will help. Thanks!

"I've tried every windlace repop out there and had the best success with the SuperSoft line of natural rubber products."

2X. Fran Bishop. Great Guy, helped me a lot re: the weather stripping.

I have had the same problem on my Fury. I finally had to readjust the doors to get them too close. I was pissed and they were expensive, at least I know I was not alone in this.

Auto Transport Service
Back