• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Fury headliner install question

deputydog

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I have found headliners for my 64 Fury from $89 on ebay to $189 from paddock or similar places. Local upholstery shops want between $500-600 labor and say in some cases the front and rear glass may need to come out.

I have never installed a headliner but skilled enough to bulid my own engines and fabricate/tig weld certified race car chassis's....so the question is.....is the headliner install something someone with decent skills can do or is it better to spend the $600 which I rather not do.

I have found headliners for my 64 Fury from $89 on ebay to $189 from paddock or similar places. Local upholstery shops want between $500-600 labor and say in some cases the front and rear glass may need to come out.

I have never installed a headliner but skilled enough to bulid my own engines and fabricate/tig weld certified race car chassis's....so the question is.....is the headliner install something someone with decent skills can do or is it better to spend the $600 which I rather not do.
it's costing me $450.00 for a guy to come to my house & install it in my 64 dodge 2 dr sedan.

I would give it a try as opposed to forking out the money. Learning how to do my own work is why I have the car. I could not afford to have someone do the work that I do or be in this hobby otherwise. Hopefully someone can provide a good link here on how to do this as I will need to do this eventually when I get that far.......good luck with your decision on your car it sounds nice.

The headliner in stall my 64 belvedere cost $200. I had all the trim off and I installed the trim again. If you do your own make sure to mark the center of the roof front and back. Then mark both front and back of headliner .

I've done about 6 of them. No magic. Be careful and patient. Try to take it out intact, that'll help you know how it goes back in intact. It'll need to stretch as you install it.

The head liner replacement procedure is in the FSM. Not rocket science.
Mike

The sedans are the only ones where the windshield and back glass need to come out! Hardtops are relatively easy just keep it tight and centered! Lay it out for a day to get the creases out saves a lot of time steaming it out!

For a first timer, best to have all the trim off and windows out. Make sure you keep/kept the rods in order and the 2 tint diameter rods for the rear. Put in all screws, have someone help pull the sides, use clips to hold it in place, then do the rear, move to front and the teeth will grip it. Use adhesive where applicable.

I had a couple of Patient car buddies over and got it done on my 65 Bel. Back glass was still in , windshield was not. Hardest part, in my opinion were the rear pillars. The rest isn't too bad. Keep her tight, and the bows in place.
Oh, and a lot of Jack Daniels on Hand!

So I have a question. I took mine out (its bot reusable) and did not keep track of the bows positions (I know stupid Of me). How do I identify the bows order for when I get to reinstall them?

So I have a question. I took mine out (its bot reusable) and did not keep track of the bows positions (I know stupid Of me). How do I identify the bows order for when I get to reinstall them?
2 dr hdpt or a 2 dr sedan ? & how many are there ?

The longest goes to the rear. I’d take each one and set them in place without the headliner and see how the flow to the roof.

I read somewhere # 1purple #2 pink # 3blue # 4 green #5 brown the longest is # 5

I read somewhere # 1purple #2 pink # 3blue # 4 green #5 brown the longest is # 5
justjim; I concur with you that they are color coded, I'm just not sure on the color order. If I recall correctly, you can play around and find they fit only a certain way.
Deputydog has a good point about front and rear windshields out to do it. If left in , it is achievable, but quite frustrating. I was happy mine came out quite well, and I saved 500 that I used somewhere else.

justjim; I concur with you that they are color coded, I'm just not sure on the color order. If I recall correctly, you can play around and find they fit only a certain way.
Deputydog has a good point about front and rear windshields out to do it. If left in , it is achievable, but quite frustrating. I was happy mine came out quite well, and I saved 500 that I used somewhere else.
the guy & his wife did my 64 ply 2 dr post car with front & rear windows in the car. they were from Milwaukee, now in Waupaca wi. the color code was from a guy on facebook marketplace that's were I got the color code from. I just removed some from a 64 dodge & marked them as I removed & he was CORRECT.

2 dr hdpt or a 2 dr sedan ? & how many are there ?
Its a 1970 Sport Satellite just like the Roadrunner it has a hardtop as opposed to convertible. Its a two door.

Auto Transport Service
Back