• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Fury Pro-Touring

Bummer on stopping. I know the feeling. In november, it will have been two years since I worked on mine. Supposedly we break ground next month on my new garage/shop. From there my trailer, which contains the bulk of the garage stuff, will get emptied into the new pad plus the car will go in instead of being outside covered up. Good luck on the new gig.

Wow, it’s been ages since I last posted but there’s been a lot of life changes in the past couple years. Regardless, there has been some progress on the Fury and I’ll start posting details again so here are a couple shots to show what I’ve been up to lately:

26D0AD51-30B3-4760-9449-637656F15802.jpeg

64CD6900-E14E-4E62-93F1-F24455468C31.jpeg

Yep, that’s a 440Source 512” rotating assembly in place!
Las Vegas Machine did the boring, honing (bores and crank), rebalanced the entire assembly, installed the expansion plugs, and verified all the clearances, then I put it all together this past weekend. Pargs include a 440Source Lightweight forged crank, 440Source forged H-Beam rods, Icon Pistons, Total Seal rings, and Clevite 77 bearings.
Progress is going to continue being slow but I’m definitely not giving up!

Last edited:
Wow, it’s been ages since I last posted but there’s been a lot of life changes in the past couple years. Regardless, there has been some progress on the Fury and I’ll start posting details again so here are a couple shots to show what I’ve been up to lately:

View attachment 1208445

View attachment 1208446

Yep, that’s a 440Source 512” rotating assembly in place!
Las Vegas Machine did the boring, honing (bores and crank), rebalanced the entire assembly, installed the expansion plugs, and verified all the clearances, then I put it all together this past weekend. Pargs include a 440Source Lightweight forged crank, 440Source forged H-Beam rods, Icon Pistons, Total Seal rings, and Clevite 77 bearings.
Progress is going to continue being slow but I’m definitely not giving up!
—-
Hi ya Bob!
Nice to see you back at it. That 512 will work well, what heads are going on to it?

Nice to have you back at it Bob. Where do you have the car now?

—-
Hi ya Bob!
Nice to see you back at it. That 512 will work well, what heads are going on to it?
Hey Mal,

Been a long talk me, hope you and your family are all well.
I picked up a set of Edelbrock Victor Max Wedge heads and will be using them with a .0039-.0045 head gasket for around an 11:1 cr.
The ports are sizeable but with the cubic inch I’m running I think they’re a pretty good match (along with a stout set of gears out back, 3.90 or deeper).

Nice to have you back at it Bob. Where do you have the car now?
Hi Ck, glad to be back!
Pulled the car out of storage and brought it home, but that necessitated my building a 16’ x8’ shed to hold parts, tools, etc. All good now though so I’ll keep pressing on.

Hey fellas,

I’m getting ready to buy new front and rear glass, along with all new trim clios for both windows, but I’m seeing 2 kinds of clips, 1 is about 1”x1/2” and the other is about 1” square, so I’m wondering what the correct placement for each type is? I’ll grab a picture of what I’m talking about and post it shortly.
Any/all help appreciated!

Here’s a pix of the clips I’m talking about; I think the long/narrow are for the base and top of the window and the “square” are for the A-pillars, but I’m just not sure:

64951D54-0A1E-4D42-B7FE-1EE5B3BE8912.png

Last edited:
Cool. its nice having easier access for more progress. My garage is more or less done here. Still have a couple of steps to complete before the permit can get written off. Chomping at the bit to work on mine.
Lessons in patience to me

Cool. its nice having easier access for more progress. My garage is more or less done here. Still have a couple of steps to complete before the permit can get written off. Chomping at the bit to work on mine.
Lessons in patience to me
I was just looking at your garage thread and instantly noticed the home styles, weather, and the hilly terrain, all of which made me think of my former home of Pacifica and San Bruno, both of which could easily be mistaken for where you live! Am I anywhere close, geographically? When I built my detached workshop in San Bruno I had to go through the same kind of crap, making sure my shop wasn’t too close to the property line, the roof peak ran the correct direction, and on and on…

Hey Mal,

Been a long talk me, hope you and your family are all well.
I picked up a set of Edelbrock Victor Max Wedge heads and will be using them with a .0039-.0045 head gasket for around an 11:1 cr.
The ports are sizeable but with the cubic inch I’m running I think they’re a pretty good match (along with a stout set of gears out back, 3.90 or deeper).
——
I run the same heads on my 505. My compression is 12.8 though. Have you got rockers yet? I did have to clearance the push rods along the intake port so you’ll likely run into that. The Super Victor intake works well with those heads, I’m running a 1050 Dominator with mine.

——
I run the same heads on my 505. My compression is 12.8 though. Have you got rockers yet? I did have to clearance the push rods along the intake port so you’ll likely run into that. The Super Victor intake works well with those heads, I’m running a 1050 Dominator with mine.

Since the Fury is destined to be a street car I just couldn’t see pushing the CR any higher than 11:1, which is right on the edge of compatible with the gas we have around here, but I got away with it on my Vette and figure I can pull it off here too.
No, I haven’t bought the rockers yet but I’d love to know what you’re running, and what offset they are.
Yea, I figured on having to clearance the pushrod holes but how much may depend on which rockers and offset.
As for an intake, I’m running the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI setup (purchased a couple years ago); I had EFI on my Vette and loved it so having a self-learning EFI on the Fury is something I was really pushing for.

We are 90 minutes or so north of Santa Barbara. If you know where Morro Bay is, we are on the south end of the bay. The rock is 5 miles or so north as the Crow flies.

We are 90 minutes or so north of Santa Barbara. If you know where Morro Bay is, we are on the south end of the bay. The rock is 5 miles or so north as the Crow flies.
Yea, def familiar, and that part of CA looks very similar to the coastline south of San Francisco, where I used to live.

Since the Fury is destined to be a street car I just couldn’t see pushing the CR any higher than 11:1, which is right on the edge of compatible with the gas we have around here, but I got away with it on my Vette and figure I can pull it off here too.
No, I haven’t bought the rockers yet but I’d love to know what you’re running, and what offset they are.
Yea, I figured on having to clearance the pushrod holes but how much may depend on which rockers and offset.
As for an intake, I’m running the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI setup (purchased a couple years ago); I had EFI on my Vette and loved it so having a self-learning EFI on the Fury is something I was really pushing for.
—-
I’m using Hughes Rockers in mine, they’re 1.6’s and made for the Victors. In 4 seasons I’ve had zero problems or issues. Valve lash doesn’t change, if any do it’s is like .001 .002. My cam is a custom solid roller, lift is .630 or .672 @ 1.6. I”ll check my lash about every 4 race days. I run 11.0 CR in my Hemi with 91 octane, runs fine.

—-
I’m using Hughes Rockers in mine, they’re 1.6’s and made for the Victors. In 4 seasons I’ve had zero problems or issues. Valve lash doesn’t change, if any do it’s is like .001 .002. My cam is a custom solid roller, lift is .630 or .672 @ 1.6. I”ll check my lash about every 4 race days. I run 11.0 CR in my Hemi with 91 octane, runs fine.

Hey Mal, hope you and your family are enjoying a fantastic holiday season!
Thanks for the info on the Hughes rockers, they are going to be my choice as well.
I’m curious how you get oil to the rockers?

Every time I think I’m going to make some progress something always gets in the way; this time it’s been work, where I’ve working 6-7 days a week, which means I’m not really in much of a mood to go out and work on the Fury, but over the past couple weeks I’ve received my new front and rear glass, the front glass gasket (the rear gasket is on backorder), discussed my cam choice with the guys from Comp (flat tappet solid, XS282S most likely), as well as received my electric power steering pump. Yep, I bought a used one from a Volvo (pump is actually made by Ford) and mounted it up just in front of the firewall on the passenger side. No having to pay a fortune for a mechanical pump (reverse rotation) that will work with my rack & pinion setup or worry about how to actually mount it once I got it.

So here’s a picture of the pump mounted, so now I just need some time off so I can get back to work on this thing!!!!

F4F3CABB-D0E3-4945-8F59-BC3A492F3109.jpeg

Are you going to check out MATS? I'm coming over on the 17th then leaving o'dark :30 on the 21st to come home so I can be at work at 1pm.

Are you going to check out MATS? I'm coming over on the 17th then leaving o'dark :30 on the 21st to come home so I can be at work at 1pm.

As much as I’d like to check out the show I have little hope of having the time off to attend; we’re so shorthanded my team and I have all been working 6-7 days a week.

Hope you have a great time, I’ve enjoyed the show in the past and hope it’s well attended.

WooooHoooo, received an email with my cam specs from Comp late this afternoon, so below is a screenshot. One thing that will differ is the rocker ratio; the cam card calls for 1.6 rockers but I plan on running 1.7’s so the intake lift will be just under .600 and the exhaust will be just over .600. The 1.7’s will also increase the duration (marginally) but the cam should work really well with my EFI and be a decent street grind.
Along with the cam I ordered a set of Comps “801” series hi-perf lifters, and late tonight I ordered a Summit Racing Billet Timing set (has GREAT reviews so had to give it a try).

More to follow!

8EA88275-BBF2-4A9B-967A-C8C7A543FA4E.png

Needs more cam! HAH! May try to catch up if I go to SEMA this year.

Auto Transport Service
Back