• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Fury Pro-Touring

Welcome back Bob! Was wondering where you got to. Looking forward to seeeing some progress reports.

Hey Mal, good to be back!

I've been busy stripping the Fury and repairing some spots as well as re-doing the body-work, so here are some shots.

First thing I did was cut out a really bad spot in the Dutchman and fill it in. The spot was badly "oil-canned" and just wouldn't come back into shape so rather than fill it with body filler I cut it out and blended it in.

Dutchman Repair01.jpg
Dutchman Repair02.jpg

Here's the same area after I redid the body filler.
Dutchman Repair03.jpg
Dutchman Repair04.jpg

The left quarter panel was replaced long before AMD introduced their replacement quarters, so this side is made up of numerous smaller patch panels sewn together, hence the widespread body filler use. All in all I'm really happy with how it turned out and believe it will be fairly decent in appearance when it's painted.
Quarter Left01.jpg
Quarter Left02.jpg

The right quarter was originally pieced together, like the left, but it was in really rough shape, so I pulled it off a couple years after originally replacing it and replaced the entire area with the (then) newly released AMD quarter. A MUCH better appearance and finish than I originally had in place.
Quarter Right01.jpg

Virtually the entire body has now been stripped, including the roof, which luckily didn't have any surprises or problems. The roof and the C pillars are virtually the only part of the original body left intact, the rest has been replaced.
Roof.jpg

I'm heading back to the shop to continue the stripping process and once that's completed I'll lay down the Matrix Epoxy primer/sealer, then after that lay down the Matrix 2K and begin blocking. After that will be final color, basic white, just like my buddy Mark's '64 Fury from high school (the car that got me hooked on Fury's almost 40 years ago).

Be back soon with more updates.

Hey Mal, good to be back!

I've been busy stripping the Fury and repairing some spots as well as re-doing the body-work, so here are some shots.

First thing I did was cut out a really bad spot in the Dutchman and fill it in. The spot was badly "oil-canned" and just wouldn't come back into shape so rather than fill it with body filler I cut it out and blended it in.

Here's the same area after I redid the body filler.
The left quarter panel was replaced long before AMD introduced their replacement quarters, so this side is made up of numerous smaller patch panels sewn together, hence the widespread body filler use. All in all I'm really happy with how it turned out and believe it will be fairly decent in appearance when it's painted.
The right quarter was originally pieced together, like the left, but it was in really rough shape, so I pulled it off a couple years after originally replacing it and replaced the entire area with the (then) newly released AMD quarter. A MUCH better appearance and finish than I originally had in place.
Virtually the entire body has now been stripped, including the roof, which luckily didn't have any surprises or problems. The roof and the C pillars are virtually the only part of the original body left intact, the rest has been replaced.
I'm heading back to the shop to continue the stripping process and once that's completed I'll lay down the Matrix Epoxy primer/sealer, then after that lay down the Matrix 2K and begin blocking. After that will be final color, basic white, just like my buddy Mark's '64 Fury from high school (the car that got me hooked on Fury's almost 40 years ago).

Be back soon with more updates.
---
Very good news and the pictures are looking good. You're not far off on anything now, will really take shape quickly now.

Coming along very nice! Great work........You are getting close to paint...

You know the saying "Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you"? Well, I had a little of both yesterday.

While stripping the car and re-doing some of the body work I've come across areas that need attention, including a section of fuel line (1/2" steel) that passes directly in front of the passenger rear wheel. I have no issues with the placement I chose for the lines except IF I have a blowout and the carcass begins flapping around; there could be serious fuel line damage. Yea, it's a real small probability but one I have considered, so I decided to take the time and make a cover for the area to safeguard the lines.

Here are the lines as installed:
IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Here are some shots of the 16 gauge steel cover I fabbed up:
IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

So now to the part where "the bear ate me" :-(
I've got the car all stripped and I know I need to add new seam sealer around the roof area and A-pillars so I get the bright idea to lay down the goopy stuff right onto the bare metal. Only after I get it all finished does it dawn on me I should really consider whether the epoxy primer will stick to it, so I check the web and sure enough, EVERYBODY I can find recommends NOT putting epoxy over the seam sealer, lay the epoxy down and put the seam sealer on top of it, so I take the next hour or so and remove the new seam sealer with a torch, various picks, and wire wheels. Damn shame too, it really did come out nice (have a look):
IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

I'm off to SoCal for a few days work but I'll be back next week to get the car and shop completely blown clean of dust and get this sucker into epoxy!!!

Uuhhhggggg, got back from SoCal and sick as a dog; seems like every other time I take a flight I catch some bug that kicks my butt. Gonna take a few days to recover then it's back to the Fury!

Finally healthy and got some time to work on the Fury; completed the body work for the chassis and took it outside to blow it all off in preparation for sealing and priming. I've got some final touches of smoothing on the fenders and doors but that won't take long.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates soon.

I love seeing cars in bare metal. Looking really good; glad you’re feeling better.

David

I love seeing cars in bare metal. Looking really good; glad you’re feeling better.

David

Thanks David, only wish I knew about doing bodywork OVER epoxy sealer before I stripped it all off the car, I would have saved myself a bunch of time, effort, hassle, and $$$. Oh well, live and learn.

Well, I finally ran into something I could not seem to overcome on my own and had to farm out; the body work. I tried for months but to be honest, all I was doing was wasting time/money and making a huge f'n mess with no real solid results to show for it, so I found a young guy in a nearby shop that will do the work and be finished in about a week or so. Here's a shot of the passenger quarter, with more to follow:

IMG_0177.JPG

It really breaks my heart I had to farm out some of the work but the bottom line is I just don't have the finesse needed to do the kind of quality work I want. Oh well, I'll move on and get to the assembly stage.

Oh, and stay tuned, I MIGHT be making a change to the engine/trans combo, and if I end up going in that direction it's sure to make some folks crazy :)

Crazy in a good way I hope......

Crazy in a good way I hope......
I guess that'll depend on the definition of crazy, but for right now it's just a thought so I'm keeping it under wraps until I find out what's feasible. Regardless, it will definitely make righteous power!

Well, I finally ran into something I could not seem to overcome on my own and had to farm out; the body work. I tried for months but to be honest, all I was doing was wasting time/money and making a huge f'n mess with no real solid results to show for it, so I found a young guy in a nearby shop that will do the work and be finished in about a week or so. Here's a shot of the passenger quarter, with more to follow:

It really breaks my heart I had to farm out some of the work but the bottom line is I just don't have the finesse needed to do the kind of quality work I want. Oh well, I'll move on and get to the assembly stage.

Oh, and stay tuned, I MIGHT be making a change to the engine/trans combo, and if I end up going in that direction it's sure to make some folks crazy :)
Bob, I hear you on farming out. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. The time you would have lost going round and round on the body work can now be spent being productive somewhere else.

I agree, I took mine to a friend who has a body shop. I had the sheetmetal on, he did body work & paint. He had it done in less than 2 months. It would've taken me 2 yrs!

Thanks for the continued support guys, I really appreciate it and will keep pushing through one way or another!

I guess that'll depend on the definition of crazy, but for right now it's just a thought so I'm keeping it under wraps until I find out what's feasible. Regardless, it will definitely make righteous power!

Pretty sure CRAZY would be anything NON MOPAR! Love seeing you back at it, looks like she's rolling right along now:thumbsup:

Pretty sure CRAZY would be anything NON MOPAR! Love seeing you back at it, looks like she's rolling right along now:thumbsup:

I was considering either an LS or 3rd gen Hemi (both choices turbo’d) but at this point I think I’ll stick to the RB.

Picked up the paint today ($700+!!!), decided to go with Lancia “Rossa Corsa”, which is a crazy bright red.
The bodywork is just about done and the car should be painted within the next couple weeks.

Auto Transport Service
Back