• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible Resurrection

Todd Millican

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
My buddy passed, I bought his car from the estate. Came with 440, 4 speed, new top. Got running, installed new Tru Trac and retained 3:23 gears. Removed interior, fenders, trunk, hood, and blasted. Took interior to upholstered, ordered material for seats.

KIMG0162.JPG

Going to build 500ci, 400 stroker. Wow! These price tags are painful. Scat kit is just under 3k. Block went to machine shop for cleaning and sonic testing. Checked out OK. Now to deburr engine, enlarge oil passages, will take back for boring and cleaning after machining. Pretty ugly right now.

KIMG0639.JPG

Good luck with your new '64 Sport Fury convertible project. It sounds like you have a plan. With that brute of a motor you are building, I would suggest weld-in sub-frame connectors. I got the U.S. Car Tool ones from Mancini's. They are contoured to the floor pan, and weld to it as well as the subframes. This would really stiffen up your convertible.

Good luck with your new '64 Sport Fury convertible project. It sounds like you have a plan. With that brute of a motor you are building, I would suggest weld-in sub-frame connectors. I got the U.S. Car Tool ones from Mancini's. They are contoured to the floor pan, and weld to it as well as the subframes. This would really stiffen up your convertible.
I plan to do exactly that. How was the install?

I didn't actually install them myself. A friend of mine has a body shop and is a very good fabricator. He welded them in, as well as welding in new trunk floor and fabricating new outer edges of rear wheelwells. Some guys weld about a foot of them in, and leave a foot unwelded, and on and on. My guy welded them the whole length, both sides. Since they were manufactured to fit the contours of the floor pan, they almost look factory. I think my guy had to touch up some of the contours with a grinder to fit just right. On early B-bodies, you do not have to cut holes through them for E-brake cables, fuel or brake lines. The E-brake cables all run inside of connectors, and fuel and brake lines run outside of them.
This was on my Polara 4-door hardtop. I thought I would stiffen it up, since it does not have a full length B-pillar joining sill and roof rail together. I previously restored a '64 Polara 500 convertible that had a 426 Street Wedge in it. I always felt it was a little "flexy" when driving it.

Last edited:
Hi Tim,
I'm going down that road right now !!
Here is my current Build....Build Thread- 64 Fury Convertible
We installed the sub frame connectors. No problems and really stiffened the car up nicely....Feel free to ask any questions you may have... I'm no expert, but weve done a LOT OF WORK to my Vert !!

Best of Luck on your build !!!
Earl

Could u send me a photo of something please? I'm trying to see what this area looks like with the top up or even off. Really help me out a lot. My text is 2182891185

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0438.jpeg

Photos of my '63 hope this helps

Top Linkage 1.jpg

Top Linkage 2.jpg

Top Linkage 3.jpg

Top Linkage 4.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back