• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 polara a/c question

flyinmike

Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
i have a 64 polara 2 door non a/c,bought a 64 4 door with a/c and want to put the a/c on the 2 door.the fire wall looks the same from the engine compartment.will i be able to take the 4 door a/c and just put it on the 2 door or is there issues i will have to deal with.i read something on here that the fire wall is different,but can't find where i read it.just looking for some imput with what i have to do to swap this.

There is a difference in the firewall ... in the center of the firewall there is a large triangular shaped opening just above the trans tunnel where the A/C lines are connected. There are also some holes specific to the mounting points of the evap unit and the drains.

I too am working on my 64 Polara's A/C but am opting to do an aftermarket solution ... probably a Vintage Air Gen II and plan to use the open firewall area to get the lines through. I am still wrestling with where to put the new controls though and also what to do with the factory dash mounted ones ... leaning towards a Dakota Digital controller and hiding it under the seat with some longer wires. I might just leave the factory controls in place for aesthetics.

There is a difference in the firewall ... in the center of the firewall there is a large triangular shaped opening just above the trans tunnel where the A/C lines are connected. There are also some holes specific to the mounting points of the evap unit and the drains.

I too am working on my 64 Polara's A/C but am opting to do an aftermarket solution ... probably a Vintage Air Gen II and plan to use the open firewall area to get the lines through. I am still wrestling with where to put the new controls though and also what to do with the factory dash mounted ones ... leaning towards a Dakota Digital controller and hiding it under the seat with some longer wires. I might just leave the factory controls in place for aesthetics.

Here is the difference,this was originally a non a/c firewall.

thank you for your replies.it looks like my 2 door fire wall was stamped to accept a/c but wasn't added.above the trans tunnel there is a triangular stamping but no hole.it looks like if i cut that hole out i'm good to go,hopefully lol.i haven't dug into the 4 door yet so i'm not sure what else i'll run into with the a/c

The firewall's are all the same,just stamped out for the application.Look at the four door and apply everything to the two door,that's what I did,only change was late model Sanden compressor.everything you need as for brackets if you use the later compressor is right here,reasonable and it fits.

http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEaircondition.asp

Auto Transport Service
Back