• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Polara - the fun begins

Just a tiny word of advice...If you're removing the back window, be very very careful with it....They are scarce a very expensive,,,,found out the hard way

Splicer

Wow! A near injury already! Glad everyone's ok. Keep the pics coming, good luck with a great project!

Dont sweat the front windshield, you can still get them for not alot of money. Besides, look at the edges, if you see yellow it was time to replace anyway cause the lamination is coming apart.

good luck with your project. it's always fun to take it apart. its even more fun when its back together!!

So it's been quite a while (2 Years) without any real updates. After finally finding a new job, being able to keep my house and have a little extra cash now the project Polara can continue.

Got her up in the air today with a total of 10 jack stands. A couple of 12-tons in the rear, 6-tons in the front, 3 tons under the rear axle and 4 aluminum screw jacks under the rockers. Perfectly balanced and level front to rear and only about 1/8" low side to side ... that's close enough for me. When this project is finally over Craigslist will be inundated with jack stands for sale.

Sunday will begin with cutting the floor pans and fitting the new ones. Maybe even a weld or two hundred.

After I get them finished I will tackle the cowl area. I have the upper and lower cowl replacement panels but I am a virgin body man so say a few prayers for me.

Pictures promised as progress is made!!!!

Almost another 2 years has passed and I'm again in a position to finally start getting things done. Although every time I say that something happens and my priorities are changed for me!!!

I went to order a full floor pan only to find out that both Sherman and AMD are out of stock and they could not tell me when more were coming in. When I spoke with Sherman they recommended reaching out to Classic Industries as they usually stock that item ... but they are out of stock too!

Anyone know another company who may have one in stock?

I'm keenly interested in this project, particularly the cowl area. Take lots of pics please when you get to it.

Glen

She's off to the surgeon

polara surgery.jpg

Is your floor in need of full replacement? Can you maybe get away with the separate left and right sections? Your cowl will take a fair bit of work. The replacement patch for the left top cowl looks like a simple replacement but they take a lot of fitting. Very nice Polara and what a great project to spend time on.

Very nice car, keep after it.

SOOOOOOOOO .... learned yet another valuable life lesson. When you have someone else do floor pan work for you make sure you examine it closely ... but noooooooo I was in a hurry that day. When I got it home and looked at it I wasn't happy with his work ... so I had to order a new full pan from AMD and I have been tearing out the old one when I discovered this CRAP!

Driver side spot welds on cross member are there. Not a single one on the passenger side. Positive note ... it will come off easier.

drivers side.jpg passenger side.jpg

It gets worse ... he ran a full bead the entire length of the firewall seam so now I get to cut that out and grind the entire seam edge.

Glad to see you have her back, not glad to see you paid for shoddy work. That is terrible. I wonder why they laid a full bead on the firewall flange?

Besides missing welds, what was wrong with his pan install?

I thought you were going to drop her off down here? :)

man i never should have sold mine , 64 polara 500 383 auto buckets console dark red met blk int . and now i've got a guy coming to try and buy my 65 sat commando 383 4spd air car that bone stock never modified ever . thinking i don't want to regret this sale as well . so power on man do yourself a great job and enjoy it fully .

Glad to see you have her back, not glad to see you paid for shoddy work. That is terrible. I wonder why they laid a full bead on the firewall flange?

Besides missing welds, what was wrong with his pan install?

I thought you were going to drop her off down here? :)

Tech screws sill installed ... he did an overlap joint on the partial pan rather than a butt joint ... just really ugly and my OCD got the best of me too! I should have it out sometime tomorrow and then I can begin the cleanup and fitment of the new pan.

OK ... so getting the rest of the floor pan out went from "tomorrow" to 4 months later. Here are a few pics of the carnage I discovered.

Drivers side ... at least there were proper welds on the patch panels ... but apparently they do not know what weld thru primer is for or when to use it.

Passenger side ... evidence of the old welds being drilled out ... no primer (again) .. no welding to the cross member ... very disappointing.

Fire wall welds ... previous welds were drilled out but never filled back in. This explains why the they ran a bead along the entire inside seam.

drivers welds.jpg passenger welds.jpg firewall welds.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back