• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Polara - trim removal tips

hitparader

Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
All - I'm getting ready to send my '64 Polara sedan in for body and paint. I agreed to pull all of the trim off, but there's four pieces that I am not sure how they are fastened. And if they use clips, whether any repops are available (I don't think the trim has ever been off of this car, so I doubt any original clips would survive). Here's the four pieces:

IMG_5238.jpeg

C-pillar trim - are these attached with clips, or nuts behind the sail panel?

IMG_5241.jpeg

Window vertical trim - is this a crimp on?

IMG_5242.jpeg

Upper windshield corner trim

IMG_5243.jpeg

Outer door sill trim - other than the two acorn nuts at either end, are there clips, or other nuts inside the door?

THANKS!

All - I'm getting ready to send my '64 Polara sedan in for body and paint. I agreed to pull all of the trim off, but there's four pieces that I am not sure how they are fastened. And if they use clips, whether any repops are available (I don't think the trim has ever been off of this car, so I doubt any original clips would survive). Here's the four pieces:

View attachment 1311236
C-pillar trim - are these attached with clips, or nuts behind the sail panel?
I believe there will be nuts on the inside. My 65 has them.
View attachment 1311238
Window vertical trim - is this a crimp on?
Yes. It snaps over frame. Fussy to work on.
View attachment 1311239
Upper windshield corner trim
That corner trim may have a screw from the bottom, could be under weather stripping. It is also held in by inner locking with the other trim around the windshield.
View attachment 1311240
Outer door sill trim - other than the two acorn nuts at either end, are there clips, or other nuts inside the door?
I can't answer that molding removal technique. Good luck to you, take your time, and don't bend that stainless!
Mike

I believe there will be nuts on the inside. My 65 has them.

Yes. It snaps over frame. Fussy to work on.

That corner trim may have a screw from the bottom, could be under weather stripping. It is also held in by inner locking with the other trim around the windshield.

I can't answer that molding removal technique. Good luck to you, take your time, and don't bend that stainless!
Mike
Thanks Mike!

Do not EVER take that upper door trim off. They are held on by a unique clip that hugs the door drop off. They are pretty well guarantied to break when you try to remove the stainless trim. Out of two sets of doors, I was only able to salvage half enough clips to do the job. I installed a saved clip in every other trim hole, and used some " alien tape " between the clips to hold the trim down. Nobody sells these clips. Mask off your upper door trim as carefully as possible and be happy.
I believe the C-pillar paint break trim is held on by nuts. You will have to peel up the headliner at the bottom of this pillar to access them. Classic Industries in Los Angeles sells repro headliner for these 4-doors.
The upper windshield corner trim has a couple of screws under the rubber weather seal that will need to come out. Then, the upper and side trim has to be unclipped, as this piece slides into them and holds them together. The door window trim, I don't know about, as my car is 4-door hardtop without this trim.

Do not EVER take that upper door trim off. They are held on by a unique clip that hugs the door drop off. They are pretty well guarantied to break when you try to remove the stainless trim. Out of two sets of doors, I was only able to salvage half enough clips to do the job. I installed a saved clip in every other trim hole, and used some " alien tape " between the clips to hold the trim down. Nobody sells these clips. Mask off your upper door trim as carefully as possible and be happy.
I believe the C-pillar paint break trim is held on by nuts. You will have to peel up the headliner at the bottom of this pillar to access them. Classic Industries in Los Angeles sells repro headliner for these 4-doors.
The upper windshield corner trim has a couple of screws under the rubber weather seal that will need to come out. Then, the upper and side trim has to be unclipped, as this piece slides into them and holds them together. The door window trim, I don't know about, as my car is 4-door hardtop without this trim.
Thanks Dave, I suspected many of the trim clips would not be replaceable. Will just mask off those sections. I was also hoping not to pull up the headliner (the original is in great shape) but sounds like that might not be an option

Thanks Dave, I suspected many of the trim clips would not be replaceable. Will just mask off those sections. I was also hoping not to pull up the headliner (the original is in great shape) but sounds like that might not be an option
Ok on the sail panel there are 2 plastic clips on either end of the trim piece. Now they look to be the same size as the side body moulding clips. They ARE NOT!!! they are small in width and are not reproduced that I am aware of. I bought a few repops years ago from Joe Suchy and last I heard his supplier is not making them. Now in the middle of that trim piece is a metal stud that has a thin piece of sheet steel affixed to it. What I did was to GENTLY pry up on either end of the piece kind like roll up and the piece should hopefully pop off without breaking the clips. If you take a small ignition screw driver to feel underneath of the trim piece youll know when you feel it. Next thing once you get it free from those clips I rotated the entire piece down (think of hands on a clock) to about the 7 oclock position and I slid the piece forward, there is a relief in the trim piece itself and it will pop off at that point. TAKE YOUR TIME. Regarding the windshield trim do yourself a favor and just buy a new windshield gasket and get ALL NEW CLIPS. The only way without totally jury rigging things is once the window is removed you replace the clips and have new gasket and window reinstalled at that time. No one has responded to my request about reinstalling the trim around windshield. As far as I can tell, the bottom trim piece goes on first, then the A pillar trim pieces go on at the same time as the upper corner and top cross piece goes on. Its like a 2 person job, I am still trying to figure it out because it is a TIGHT fit at the roof line and I dont want to chip the paint

Ok on the sail panel there are 2 plastic clips on either end of the trim piece. Now they look to be the same size as the side body moulding clips. They ARE NOT!!! they are small in width and are not reproduced that I am aware of. I bought a few repops years ago from Joe Suchy and last I heard his supplier is not making them. Now in the middle of that trim piece is a metal stud that has a thin piece of sheet steel affixed to it. What I did was to GENTLY pry up on either end of the piece kind like roll up and the piece should hopefully pop off without breaking the clips. If you take a small ignition screw driver to feel underneath of the trim piece youll know when you feel it. Next thing once you get it free from those clips I rotated the entire piece down (think of hands on a clock) to about the 7 oclock position and I slid the piece forward, there is a relief in the trim piece itself and it will pop off at that point. TAKE YOUR TIME. Regarding the windshield trim do yourself a favor and just buy a new windshield gasket and get ALL NEW CLIPS. The only way without totally jury rigging things is once the window is removed you replace the clips and have new gasket and window reinstalled at that time. No one has responded to my request about reinstalling the trim around windshield. As far as I can tell, the bottom trim piece goes on first, then the A pillar trim pieces go on at the same time as the upper corner and top cross piece goes on. Its like a 2 person job, I am still trying to figure it out because it is a TIGHT fit at the roof line and I dont want to chip the paint
Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the great info.

Auto Transport Service
Back