• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 polara

diemaker

Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys im doing a complete restore on my polara 500 I'm stuck on which windshield to order clear or tinted. The back is clear i don't want the car to look dumb with only 1 tinted window.

any thoughts on this?

IMG_2428.jpg

As I understand it tinted windows were put in cars that had A/C.
Non A/C cars got clear windows

What you want is a shaded windshield. Clear with a band across the top that is shaded. RUFFCUT

A lot of times tinted means a band on top the windshield. It's handy to have there I think. I know the correct term is shaded but lots of times they are incorrectly referred to as tinted.

A lot of times tinted means a band on top the windshield. It's handy to have there I think. I know the correct term is shaded but lots of times they are incorrectly referred to as tinted.
on AMD website it looks like the window is green and the non tinted window is completely clear

We're finishing the resto on my '63 Sedan. I went with a New tinted front windshield, as I prefer the shading for my Old Eyes, on those Sunny days. There only original once, so after that...

good to know
Tinted front windshield was an option on these cars. They had darker band at top that gradually faded somewhat to lighter tint for majority of windshield. This was the automotive equivalent of wearing sunglasses, easier on the eyes. Tinted glass for all windows was also a separate option, although as previously mentioned, it was usually seen in cars with air conditioning. There was nothing unusual with seeing a car with just tinted windshield, back in the day.

If you go with the tinted windshield ( i would) make sure that it's green and not smoke or gray tint.

I decided to go with clear all the there windows are clear and i'm doing a concourse restore so I want it to be accurate plus the car will only see a few hundred miles of driving a year

Auto Transport Service
Back