• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Sport Fury

Milduff

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
Ok, New to site, got chastized on another site for posting wrong. 1964 Sport Fury is not a C I didnt know .......Geez. Anyway, bought this car with a 361 auto, and what I believe is a trunk mounted A/C. I have never seen one can anyone provide more info ? Was it factory or dealer installed. I will post a few pics. 1964 Fury 013.jpg1964 Fury 001.jpg1964 Fury 005.jpg1964 Fury 006.jpg1964 Fury 009.jpg1964 Fury 014.jpg1964 Fury 017.jpg

Milduff
Welcome
Can't Answer The Question Although Makes Sense
Sure Is A Georgious Car Though
Mike Z.

I would say rear defroster. It doesnt have any a/c lines running to it does it? Doesnt lookl like it has front a/c, so i would say no way it has rear And either dealer installed, or jc whitney harry home owner installed.

In fact, i dont even see any heater hoses under the hood. It must be some sort of heater. Are there heater controls on the dash? Its a floor shift, but i see what looks like push button controls too. Is that for the heater? What do you have going on here?

Looks like heater controls to right of clock and a small black square tab where the hoses went.I too say defroster but think its a factory option. Look at the correct looking plug.

No hoses showing in the eng.bay!does have heater switch in the dash.Someone installed that setup at home!!!Also no compressor so it isn't used for a/c.Nice looking 64!

I suspect it's an aftermarket trunk mounted A/C with the compressor & lines deleted by the previous owner.

The 3 vents are adjustable and are pointing into the cabin and I also see what appears to be 2 condensate drains hoses ...

Beautiful car !!!!

Nice car! welcome ! that must be a heater/defrost since the middle vents face away from the rear glass. And I agree about the plug,it looks factory/dealer installed.Well you beat me to it about the direction of the vents.

Hey everyone.....Thanks for the nice comments, I'm over by Toledo, Yesterday, I talked to the previous owner, he called on the phone to tell me he found more parts that go with the car. Including a compressor, he says goes in the trunk for the A/C. Being new to B bodies, I thinking I'm gonna need all the help I can get. I will continue to post pics on progress.

The compressor goes in the trunk?
Thats what he says, I will pick the parts up this week and post pictures. I cannot seem to find any information on this contraption. Does anyone have photos or printed material from a service manual that could help me?

I'm really curious about this setup so I've been surfing for info on this unit too and haven't really found anything ... but if I do I will post it. My "guess" is that this was aftermarket and not factory.

Assuming the compressor is in the trunk (highly doubtful) it would be electric ... but you still need a condenser somewhere to cool the hot gas back to liquid which requires lots of air flow ... that is why they are normally placed in front of the radiator.

Can't wait to see the additional pictures.

A lot of cars had trunk mounted a/c in the 50's. I think Cadillac offered a secondary unit in the trunk into the 70's. And, most limos have a trunk unit. I'm pretty sure I have read old car magazines that suggested using trunk units to balance the weight of the a/c system between the front and back--the compressor in front and the evaporator and fan motor in the back.

Nice car by the way!

Auto Transport Service
Back