• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Sport Fury decoding help

Hilljack68

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
I did a bit of internet digging on this, but can't find any definitive answer. Can anyone assist with what engine and tranny this Sport Fury was born with? Knowing the other options would be helpful too, but I'm mainly interested in the engine/tranny at this point. Thanks for any help you can offer.

64 USF.jpeg

Sorry - that'll have to wait til Monday.

Thanks Wayne. Funny thing is, I thought a no-callout hood ornament on the 64's meant a small block. And yet, my best research (for what that's worth) is suggesting 361 also.

318 would not have an engine code, since it is standard equipment engine. 361 cars had the engine call-out on the hood ornament. A5 is Torqueflight automatic. Build date is November 29, 1963 (1129). 342 is Sport Fury 2-door hardtop. HHI is Sandalwood Metallic, top and bottom. P4 is Premium bucket seats. My Canadian Parts manual does not show "U" interior colour code but I would believe it might be a variation of Tan.

So, in all probability, someone at some point needed the 361 hood ornament, and swapped in a SB call-out... because it looks like the original hood. (By the way, this is a car I'm considering buying - hence why I don't have all the info, like the VIN)

You're right Dave - Sandalwood paint code. I don't see that color very often, but I find myself really diggin' it.

Thanks for the help boys.

You can't properly decode the tag without knowing what plant the car was built at, and having info for that plant.

Auto Transport Service
Back