• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Steering Coupler

dryheat

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
I was hoping to be able to reuse the steering column on my 64 Polara but coupler is just shot. I also know that rebuild parts are non-existent.

I would like to keep the original steering column and I am hoping there is a simple solution like using a different coupler. Please help!

Thanks ...

Dry heat, head over to speedway on 83 Ave and McDowell road. They can help may not be o.e. but they have couplings that will work.

Mancini Racing has the same kit as Dorman #MRETP-CPLRKIT $26.99
They also have the coupler housing #MRETP-PSCPLR $70.99
It lists 1966-82 But it is the same coupler and kit that is on my 63.
Chances are there will be nothing wrong with your housing.
The shoes in the kit only go in 1 way. Look to see how yours comes apart and install the new parts the same way.
Or you could spring for a Flaming River coupler for $370.Also at Mancini's.

My '63 was recently rebuilt, and there was no issue with finding the re-build kit ? Call Joe Suchy, or Jim Kramer if you can't locate them. Detroit Muscle Tech also has them, I believe...

I was hoping to be able to reuse the steering column on my 64 Polara but coupler is just shot. I also know that rebuild parts are non-existent.

I would like to keep the original steering column and I am hoping there is a simple solution like using a different coupler. Please help!

Thanks ...
WHich coupler is it? Pics? If it's like 90% of the early Mopars, there are rebuild kits all over the planet. (like posted above) I have even seen replacement couplers.

steering coupler.jpg

Thanks for all the quick replies. Barry ... I will definitely speedway.

From what I understand the 64-65 couplers are unique and kits are no longer available. I have contacted Joe Suchy & Mancini.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Barry ... I will definitely speedway.

From what I understand the 64-65 couplers are unique and kits are no longer available. I have contacted Joe Suchy & Mancini.
I have the OEM coupler off my 65 Belvedere and the body looks good if that would help? I needed the shaft pin but, bought a new pin instead as I have R&P steering now with universal joints.
Mike

WHich coupler is it? Pics? If it's like 90% of the early Mopars, there are rebuild kits all over the planet. (like posted above) I have even seen replacement couplers.
[/URL]

View attachment 1461686
About the only things usable in the pictured kit (1966 and up) are the shoes. The '65 and earlier coupler housing is a different shape, so the rubber seal and retainer do not fit. Even the black shoe spring is different and will not fit in early coupler. I just rebuilt my 1964 Polara column last week, and I had the kit as shown, and it did not work.

Auto Transport Service
Back