• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 belvedere 440 swap

rapom1951

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
hi. first post. i have a 65 belvedere 318 poly out 440 in. have checked past posts and did not see what i am dealing with. i see you can buy motor mounts for this at schumacher but they are out of stock and my mopar performance book says you can do this swap using 383 mounts and A engine insulators. i have some 413 brackets and insulators from my poly but the holes do not line up for the bolt and locator. perhaps 383 brackets are different from a 413. i don't think 440 brackets will work as i have some and they will not bolt to my poly insulators. maybe i will wait for schumacher to restock was just thinking i could put together the right combination of what i have. thanks for any help

Welcome to the forum. You're describing one of the most straightforward swaps. As long as you have a V8 K member this is a bolt in. No need to wait for anyone who's out of stock. In fact I though I'd read that Schumacher was out of business or wrapping up to go out.

Get on eBay and you should find a number of vendors selling the brackets and insulators you need to do this. You said you have the poly insulators but I'd recommend new ones anyway. If you're not sure from that search what you're looking for just holler and I'll take and send you some photos of new brackets and insulators I have out in the shed. You'll get it sorted out.

Check out mega parts usa for the steel mounts that bolt up to the ears on the block. They have those for $60.00 and the rubber biscuits for 25.00 ea. I think the part #2227 and 2228 is for the rubber mounts rock auto should have them not sure on RA price.

Once you get those parts the motor will fit right in the K frame. You'll need a bb 727 and longer shift cables if you are planning on using 727 65 slip yoke style. You'll also need a early style 727 trans mount to fit existing cross member, but some guys modify a late model trans mount to fit the oem cross member. I have extra shift n park cables that will work.
The engine oil pan is limited in style due to k member, so you'll need a 971 pan n pick up. I think mancini or 440 source has those.
you'll also need a longer accelerator cable for bbm. Some guys get sbm rad to work just get it recored to a 3 core. The inlet hose on a oem bbm is on the pass side, and sbm inlet is in the middle. Of course drive shaft will be needed.
If you decide to keep power steering you'll need the set up that is on the BB. If you want to go manual gear box you'll need a longer steering shaft that is inside the column. PS column shaft is too short. I think there is a company that makes an adapter for that purpose but I dont remember the name off the top of my head.
Where are you located at in Illinois?

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to the best b body site on the planet! I’m currently doing a /6 to 470B swap in my 65 Coronet.

I found the engine brackets on eBay, and the rubber insulators on Rock Auto.

I’m using the repop Max Wedge oil pan and pickup. I had tracked down an original standard pan off a 361, but wanted more oil capacity. These Max Wedge repops are relatively recent and didn’t exist a couple years ago.

Dougs headers, but I’m not sure they are made anymore...got mine NOS 8 years ago, but should be other offerings out there.

You’ll need a bigger radiator, but lots of options out there.

I tracked down a 65 727TF...so cable shift, slip yoke tailshaft. Paid $300 for the core but had to dive 8 hour round trip to snag it. You’ll need new shift cables and a new custom driveshaft.

I assume you have an 8 3/4 rear. If not, those are available too with some digging. My car had one, just am replacing the lopro 741 with a 742 pumpkin.

Those were the major items off the top of my head.

I’m keeping my /6 bars...my math shows I’m only adding ~50# to the nose after using aluminum heads, intake, water pump and housing, radiator, and tube headers.

While I cant add any valuable input to this thread, I can say and show a pic of my 69 440 HP2 engine that was already installed in my '65 Coronet. Let me know if there are any pics you need to see to help you in your conversion. :thumbsup:

20200831_162455.jpg

Pictures of the brackets and insulators that you need. Also pictures of an early B body oil pan.
12BB2F1C-9A97-4464-8599-C9D2F57E0923.jpeg
1EAD2056-A07A-4CD0-801E-B03326CC9362.jpeg
BD84DC6F-AE4C-475A-A73A-845C5C877B91.jpeg
D36D8819-FDF2-4DE9-8BFE-52274C4BD25B.jpeg
GO69 spells it out pretty well. Mount pictures aren’t mine.

Welcome to the forum. You're describing one of the most straightforward swaps. As long as you have a V8 K member this is a bolt in. No need to wait for anyone who's out of stock. In fact I though I'd read that Schumacher was out of business or wrapping up to go out.

Get on eBay and you should find a number of vendors selling the brackets and insulators you need to do this. You said you have the poly insulators but I'd recommend new ones anyway. If you're not sure from that search what you're looking for just holler and I'll take and send you some photos of new brackets and insulators I have out in the shed. You'll get it sorted out.
thank you

Check out mega parts usa for the steel mounts that bolt up to the ears on the block. They have those for $60.00 and the rubber biscuits for 25.00 ea. I think the part #2227 and 2228 is for the rubber mounts rock auto should have them not sure on RA price.

Once you get those parts the motor will fit right in the K frame. You'll need a bb 727 and longer shift cables if you are planning on using 727 65 slip yoke style. You'll also need a early style 727 trans mount to fit existing cross member, but some guys modify a late model trans mount to fit the oem cross member. I have extra shift n park cables that will work.
The engine oil pan is limited in style due to k member, so you'll need a 971 pan n pick up. I think mancini or 440 source has those.
you'll also need a longer accelerator cable for bbm. Some guys get sbm rad to work just get it recored to a 3 core. The inlet hose on a oem bbm is on the pass side, and sbm inlet is in the middle. Of course drive shaft will be needed.
If you decide to keep power steering you'll need the set up that is on the BB. If you want to go manual gear box you'll need a longer steering shaft that is inside the column. PS column shaft is too short. I think there is a company that makes an adapter for that purpose but I dont remember the name off the top of my head.
Where are you located at in Illinois?
wow. thanks for this info. live in nora ill. nw corner. wasn't going to hit you guys yet with trans. questions. trying to wrap up the engine first. but yeah trans is going to be interesting as i have column shift and want to keep that. i have a 64 bb 727 cable shift that i hope to use with parts from my 65 sb and 4 other later 727s with linkage shift.. the 64 has the 19 spline input but think i can swap in a later 24 shaft and maybe use a later slip joint output shaft. may have to take apart 3 trans. to make it all work. i ordered brackets from mega but they had just one side insulator so will get from rock auto i hope thanks for info on oil pan. i need to check that as i already put on a late 440 pan and windage tray. i think my engine is a 74 but not sure as the stamping are hard to read, cast number on side shows it being in the 73-78 years

The block casting is not a huge deal. You can make a later oil pan fit, you'd have to notch the K member for clearance. I'm not a fan of notching things, hence the oil pan info. The 971 pan fits perfect enough room all the way around, of course max wedge pan is better yet due to extra capacity.
Getting into trans info , yes guys swap out later pumps into early cases. I am not a guru like DVW on here, he is very good and knowledgeable. I suggest getting a copy of the FSM on the trans for 65 mod yr. Things will make more sense. Dont forget kickdown rod also.
I live down in Bloomington.

Pictures of the brackets and insulators that you need. Also pictures of an early B body oil pan. View attachment 1000115 View attachment 1000116 View attachment 1000117 View attachment 1000118 GO69 spells it out pretty well. Mount pictures aren’t mine.
Thanks for the pics!!!! I just purchased a 1964 Plymouth Fury station wagon that some one started putting a 413 into it. It is/was just setting there. After looking at the motor mounts that are on it and after taking them off I started searching the forum and found this thread. I apparently need new mounts

Here is my Thread. I did a 440 swap into a 64 which is pretty much going to be the exact same swap. I used a late Model 727... There should be all the info you would need. Feel free to ask me anything !!

Build Thread- 64 Fury Convertible
Thanks!!! I had read in another thread that the original small block Trans wouldn't work. It appears the person starting this swap was aware of this as the engine has a Trans bolted up to it with the shift cables still attached to it and the original shift cables have been cut. I've not spent much time under the car other than to see that the Trans is bolted to the crossmember and a drive shaft is mounted, but not bolted, to the Trans. I think this the correct Trans because from the pictures I've seen where the motor mounting points on the engine appear to be lining up properly with the K member perches. I will definitely check out your thread. Forgive me if you've shown it in your thread but I don't see how the Kick Down linkage bolts to the engine and/or firewall.

Just started checking out your build thread. Looks great!!! I will take the time to thoroughly go through it.

Just curious and didn't want to start another thread.. is the 62 k-frame different it's been awhile but i could swear the studs for my poly were totally vertical and not on an angle like shown here.. I assume if i am putting in an LA i can just use the mounts that were on the poly?

Here is my Thread. I did a 440 swap into a 64 which is pretty much going to be the exact same swap. I used a late Model 727... There should be all the info you would need. Feel free to ask me anything !!

Build Thread- 64 Fury Convertible
Wow!!! what a job you and terry have done!!Please look at the attached picture and see if this is the manifold you used. It's on Ebay. Thanks
Ebay Manifold.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back