• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Belvedere ignition issue. Left me stranded.

Today after work I'm going to check voltage and switch out the coil and ballast resistor from my running car.
this is why I rewired my 68 fastback your is 3 years older than mine , = 58 yr old wiring ?
From the looks of this , you can do it , sounds like you know more about 12 volt elec. than I do already !!
I`d like to see pics of that 65 wagon too...

this is why I rewired my 68 fastback your is 3 years older than mine , = 58 yr old wiring ?
From the looks of this , you can do it , sounds like you know more about 12 volt elec. than I do already !!
I`d like to see pics of that 65 wagon too...
Wagon with rims.jpg

Electrical is a weak point with me. That's why I ask a lot of questions.

Check your wiring from the ballast resistor to the coil. I once pinched a wire under the coil bracket, not paying attention, and it grounded out the run circuit of the ignition. You should have a run circuit and a start circuit, your run circuit sounds like its your issue.

You need to know exactly how many volts at the coil with the switch in the run position. It's starting to sound like a weak coil to me. All you're doing is basically bypassing the ballast resistor and supplying 12 volts to the coil with the wire from the choke.
Yup, it was the coil. I took the coil out of my other car and it fired right up. Thank you all for the help.

Kick a$$ ...thanks , me like !
I always wanted to put my hemi in a wagon...
I kept my wagon simple. 360/727. I drive it a lot. I'm in the process of restoring my 69 440 Dart with my buddy. That one won't get a lot of driving time.

Auto Transport Service
Back