• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Belvedere II 383 conversion

chops

Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Hope you can help. I'm installing a 383 engine in a 65 Belvedere II, I bought an conversion kit from Schumachers. The problem I'm having is that the engine looks to be setting crooked in the car and it looks like it should be setting back about 1"-2". The shifter hits the hump when you shift into first gear and the shifter hangs to the left side of the car in the hump. When I center the transmission in the tunnel the shifter still hangs to the left. I had to add a 2" piece to the original tranny mount to get it to set in the proper place on the tranny. I'm new to the Mopar scene and I hope someone did this conversion and offer me some insight. Thanks

install issue

Questions?
Did you install in a slant 6 K member?
Was a 66 and up V8 K member installed?
Did you buy the correct 62-65 B engine motor mounts?
Did you install the correct mounts on the correct side of block ears?

Is the floor tunnel original? or a retro install which may be mis fitted?

red

Big Block Conversion

I recently replaced the original 318 in my 65 Belvedere II with a 440 using the Schumacher conversion engine mounts. The engine definitely sits at an angle but SO DID THE ORIGINAL 318. If you look at the ORIGINAL RADIATOR, IT TOO SITS AT AN ANGLE so the clearance between the fan blade and the radiator is equal all the way around. This is the way it came from the factory so there is no need for concern - however, this is an automatic and there have been no transmission issues for linkage or kickdown when it comes to clearance. The big block hipo exhaust manifolds are very cozy in the B body and the dual exhaust with an H crossover fits as expected with no problems. It sounds as though the engine is how I would expect it to be but I have no clue on the manual trans and linkage setup.

65 Belvedere II

I talked to Schumachers today and they said the engine does sit at an angle, that was done for the cross ram setup. I have the same cross member as the automatic one, so they told me that I need an original 4 speed cross member for my setup, it uses the straight 4 speed trans mount not an offset one like I'm trying to use. Then the only problem is with the shifter sitting in the hump not centered. He thought I might have the wrong shifter, but I purchased a Hurst shifter for a 65 Belvedere II with bench seat. I did have to cut the floor and purchase an after market hump. So, I will have to make a new mount for the shifter to move the shifter back and make the mount thinner to move it to the right. He thought I may be able to get the right shifter mount from Brewer's, but i haven't call them yet. I f some one else knows what I need to do i appreciate any help, and thanks to the ones that responded. I'm also using the original K member from the car which was a 318 with a manual 3 speed.

I have the motor mounts from schumachers and my motor is a little angled also. I thought I was losing my mind. I took the motor out 4-5 times to see if there was something wrong. I did noticed that the driver side k-member mount looks to be added so I think mine is off more that stock. I have ran it this way since 99' and no problems yet. Car runs mid 10's

When I bought the car in 99' the guy rigged the crossmember by cutting out the middle of the plate on the crossmember. Does that make any sense?

When I bought my exhaust kit from TTI, the instructions said to measure from the center of the harmonic balancer to the frame rail on each side. There should be a 3" difference in the measurement, with the smaller measurement on the pass. side. The engines are in the car at an angle, for what reason I did not know, but the instructions said it needed to be there for the exhaust to fit properly. Mine was very close, and the TTI system fit very good. So, if your about 3" to the left, you are where it needs to be.
Hope this eases your mind.
Daryl (cwmoss)

Auto Transport Service
Back