• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Belvedere Interior paint Difficulties

Thunderlugs

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 65 BelvedereII, which previous owner decided to begin to change the interior color from tan to red. Seats were completed in two tone reds by SMS interiors as well as door cards. I am having difficulty finding any paint suppliers locally who can cross, and have the ability to mix the two reds in Todays products . Here are the colors: Red (gloss finish) chry#TAB1R6, Ditzler #71203...... and Dark Red ( suede finish) chry#VAC38R9, Ditzler 71390. These are needed for the steering column , lower,and upper dash,and garnish mouldings. I am hoping not to have to drag a seat along to a paint store for color matching. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a 65 BelvedereII, which previous owner decided to begin to change the interior color from tan to red. Seats were completed in two tone reds by SMS interiors as well as door cards. I am having difficulty finding any paint suppliers locally who can cross, and have the ability to mix the two reds in Todays products . Here are the colors: Red (gloss finish) chry#TAB1R6, Ditzler #71203...... and Dark Red ( suede finish) chry#VAC38R9, Ditzler 71390. These are needed for the steering column , lower,and upper dash,and garnish mouldings. I am hoping not to have to drag a seat along to a paint store for color matching. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike Manzini at American Muscle Car Restoration 401 267 0055 has what you need.

Uhhhh.... I suggest you drag the seat along with you. Paint matching is a tricky thing. My suggestion is to provide a color standard (like your seat) and have somebody custom blend to match that color. Also, make sure to look at the color under a bunch of different lights...sunlight, incandescent, fluorescent, sodium, halide, etc. A color that matches under one light might look very different under a different light source.

Herb's should have what you need in a rattle can got the black suede and was perfect

Uhhhh.... I suggest you drag the seat along with you. Paint matching is a tricky thing. My suggestion is to provide a color standard (like your seat) and have somebody custom blend to match that color. Also, make sure to look at the color under a bunch of different lights...sunlight, incandescent, fluorescent, sodium, halide, etc. A color that matches under one light might look very different under a different light source.
Thank you

Find a paint supplier that carries Axalta (previously Dupont). Once there, look into their Spectra Master line of flexible coatings. It comes in some 4000 colors and they will have swatches that run from one end of the spectrum to the other. The **** ain't cheap, but I guarantee you'll find something you can use.

Find a paint supplier that carries Axalta (previously Dupont). Once there, look into their Spectra Master line of flexible coatings. It comes in some 4000 colors and they will have swatches that run from one end of the spectrum to the other. The **** ain't cheap, but I guarantee you'll find something you can use.
Very Good Thanks Much

510873182.jpg
1302448639.jpg
Don't discount that "other" finish -- powder coatings come in thousands of colors nowadays too, and custom matches happen around here all the time.

The ashtray is in my customer's original factory finish here.

Eight attempts to edit my post before the upload finally worked ughhhhhh....

1302448639.jpg 395248021.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back