• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Coronet - Starter Won't Engage

LSU Tiger

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
If I had any hair, this would make me pull it all out. I was having starter issues on my 65 Coronet. Hit the key and nothing happened. So I took the starter to a local shop. They said it needed to be rebuilt. They did the job. I installed it and hit the key. The starter spins strong, but doesn't engage the flywheel. I hit these forums for answers. Here's what I've done:

1. Made sure the battery was fully charged
2. Replaced the battery ground cable and cleaned all battery connections
3. Replaced the cable and connections from the starter relay to the solenoid
4. Replaced the ballast resistor
5. Replaced the starter relay
6. Replaced the key switch
7. Cleaned and tightened amp meter connections

I decided to jump the starter with a screwdriver from the battery cable to the solenoid. It just spins but does not engage.

I took the starter back to the shop and they tested it, claiming it's working great. They even tried to hold the bendix back with a stick of wood and it jumped out and spun.

What could possibly be causing it to not engage the flywheel? I haven't changed anything on the bell housing. Just bolted it back up where it's always been.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm assuming it isn't grinding? Just spinning? I'm also assuming factory style wiring and starter? It should have a positive battery cable that is hot at all times to the large stud. Key power actives 12 volts at the small stud. If this is all true, in my mind the issue is internal to the starter. The small wire activates the solenoid. When that happens, internal contacts connect the 12 volts to the armature thru the brushes. If the starter spins the solenoid is functioning and should move the fork on the bendix causing it to move towards the flywheel.
Doug

Gear spinning on the shaft or should I say the shaft spinning in the gear.....?

Sounds like the Bendix/overrunning clutch is kaput. It might well move out to engage the ring gear teeth but could be spinning internally. No drive.

Sounds like the Bendix/overrunning clutch is kaput. It might well move out to engage the ring gear teeth but could be spinning internally. No drive.
Kinda what I think I said lol

I'm assuming it isn't grinding? Just spinning? I'm also assuming factory style wiring and starter? It should have a positive battery cable that is hot at all times to the large stud. Key power actives 12 volts at the small stud. If this is all true, in my mind the issue is internal to the starter. The small wire activates the solenoid. When that happens, internal contacts connect the 12 volts to the armature thru the brushes. If the starter spins the solenoid is functioning and should move the fork on the bendix causing it to move towards the flywheel.
Doug
No grinding at all. Just spinning. All factory wiring and starter.

I'm not sure what engine you have but you may be able to use a junkyard Dodge Ram 5.9L starter. That bolted up to my 318, and 360.
I know starters right now are an arm and a leg...

Well, it ended up being the starter, despite the fact that the starter shop says it's working perfectly. I finally decided to buy a rebuilt starter from O'Reilly, bolted it on, hit the key, and bam! It started right up.

It's a damn shame that a starter marked "Rebuilt in China" works better than the one rebuilt by my fellow Texans right down the road.

Auto Transport Service
Back