• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

`65 Factory AWB Torsion Bars

stevenfkennedy

Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
Here's a question for you really old guys - with good memories. I'm recreating one of the `65 Chrysler factory constructed AWB cars (`65 Belvedere) and wondered if anyone know what the factory did with the torsion bars. Since the K-frame was moved forward 10", the torsion bars had to be 10" longer. The photos in the Chrysler technical report on the AWB project show the rear mounts for the bars to still be part of the transmission mounting crossmember, although dropped about 4". So they didn't move the mounts forward. I thought about using a torsion bar from an Imperial which might be long enough but I understand the front and rear mounts are way too big on these bars. Plus the bars are way too heavy duty. A C body bar might get closer but the end (hexagonal) mounts would have to be cut down to fit the B body. Any idea how Chrysler did this? It's hard to believe that they would have made a special casting of just 12 bars for each side of the 12 AWB cars they produced (very costly). But maybe that was what was done. Any thoughts on what was done back then and how I might work around the problem?
Thanks,
Steve

I realize this is an old thread but FWIW the factory provided parts and prints so regular 990 owners could make these mods themselves. A buddy of mine has one and his of course is a sedan not one of the amblewagon hdtp's. I could ask him what bar if it was a C or D body or I could measure it for you (lngth & dia.) the next time I go by there.

i ran into that same problem with my project i used the c-body ones and grinder with a fine sanding pad and took a little off the hexagonal ends slowly as not to heat up the area until they fit . i havent road tested them yet dont know if it will work or just snap only other thing i could figure they just used the sockets off a c-body some how please update on your findings as well thanks B.taylor

I know they used Imperial torsion bars, but I don't know what year. Would have to find a torsion bar length chart somewhere. As far as diameter of the Imperial bars I don't think they thought of that...with the wheelbase alteration I think the new weight bias more than made up for that.

AFX torsion bar info

I know they used Imperial torsion bars, but I don't know what year. Would have to find a torsion bar length chart somewhere. As far as diameter of the Imperial bars I don't think they thought of that...with the wheelbase alteration I think the new weight bias more than made up for that.

The altered wheelbase hardtop bars are not confirmed but they are probably from a 65 Y Imperial and were 50" long.The part numbers are 2275508 rt and 2275509 lt. The length accommodated the 10" forward front suspension move with the rear mounting moved forward 1".The bars were painted semi gloss black.
The torsion bar anchors in the hardtop body were cut off and ground flush with the surface of the crossmember.The new torsion bar anchor mounts were made on a bench to assure proper relationship between the centerline of the anchors and the mounting edges of the side plates of the assemblies.
The vertical centerlines of the torsion bar anchors in the crossmember were located and the centerline of the new assemblies were lined up with them.The side plates of the new assemblies were butted against the lower surface of the crossmember and held in position while the centerline of the anchor was checked.The assemblies were then welded in position.

The info is from the Ramchargers and an authentic guide for Altered Wheelbase Cars.

Picture 005.jpg

The outfit who did the chassis work on my AWB didn't lower the rear mounts! I did use the 65 Imperial bars with no modifications! Did have to use a 1" spacer! The bars are 50" and they need to be 51". Spacers keep the bars from moving back and forth! I think they lower the rear mounts for clearance .My k-member is moved the 15" forward as originals were!The rear is moved 10" forward also!

Auto Transport Service
Back