• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Plymouth fasteners

moparquest

Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
I'm in the process of taking apart the front end of my 65 satellite for painting/body work. Lots of the bolts/washers i'm taking out of the hood hinges and fenders are in rough condition and should be replaced. I suppose i could go to a hardware store and try to match my hardware piece by piece. But i was wondering if anyone knows a source where i can buy them at once. Thanks in advance for any help!

If they are just rusted and not rotted away, buy a bottle of Muriatic Acid at Home Depot and soak the fasteners in the acid over night. Pick up two five gallon buckets while your at the Depot. Put the fasteners in one bucket with the acid. The put the other bucket inside of(on top of) the filled one. The acid gives off smokey gas when in contact with rust. The top bucket will contain that.
After soaking, rinse in Fresh water. Then I drop them in a gallon can of Berryman Carb cleaner (autozone has it). It sort of oily and will remove any paint left on the fasteners.
I know it seems like you would want to remove the paint first, but the oily nature of the carb cleaner may buffer the rust from the acid.

Be careful how long you leave the fasteners in the acid. Over night may be too long; may not be anything useable in the morning. Test to determine how long it takes the acid to clean up the fasteners.
Eastwood also has a product that you can use. I forget the name, but search their site.
May also consider just glass beading, and chasing the threads.

Auto Transport Service
Back