• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Satellite questions

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
customer brought in his 65 Satellite with a laundry list of things to do. His under dash harness is a disaster and needs to be replaced. Does this require removal of the dashboard as an assembly to do? If so is this dash bolted in like my 67’s that almost require windshield removal get get to the bolts at the base of the windshield? Any idea of labor hours to accomplish a job like this?
Secondly he wants headers. A 440 resides under the hood ( originally a 383) This engine sits noticeably over to the passenger side ,the exhaust manifold almost touches the shock tower. Drivers side has much more room. Is something wrong here with engine mount brackets or is this normal for a 65?
Appreciate your inputs
Dan

EADA0B26-3D05-4F53-9EB6-5357B8FB26F8.jpeg

BC69300B-C0BD-4E23-BD22-6BF6FCA63568.jpeg

All Mopars have an offset to passenger side since 1958 (That is as far as I remember) to facilitate
steering box clearance.

As far as Dash removal on the 65 = I would charge Straight Time and take plenty of it.

Dan, the wiring harness can be changed with the dash in the car. I installed a new harness in my 65 Belvedere with the dash installed. I’d hate to have to do it again, at 66 I don’t think my back could take it. That was 15 years ago. You might take out the front seat to have more room.
TTIs would be the header of choice in my opinion. I’m probably wrong but I think the left side will go in from the top, the right from the bottom. TTI website probably has instructions on installation. Have fun.

I recently helped a friend change his fried under dash harness on his 1962 Dart. The first thing we did was to pull the front seat out. I am 75 and my buddy is 67. We both found out that we are not as flexible as we used to be. In retrospect, we both agreed that it would likely be easier to do with the dash out. Unlike later B-bodies, the dash on '62-'65 cars can be removed without pulling the windshield. If you remove the inside lower garnish molding, there is a row of bolts that can be removed. The lower corners of the dash are fastened with bolts that can be loosened. After disconnecting the speedo cable, heater controls, and some wiring connectors, the top of the dash can be pivoted down on the two lower bolts, and lifted off them.
As far as headers go, if the engine is already out of the car, you drop the headers down into the engine bay, and then drop the engine in between them.

The heavier than normal offset to the P.S. may be more so on a 65' than other years. I noticed on my neighbors 65' Coronett that you could barely get a credit card between the TTI header and the shock tower on the P.S

You might check on some new motor mounts, possibly Schumacher, if you can find a set. Those could be settled from age ? You could also pull the windshield, and roll the dash back. I've been schooled that is the way to go...

You might check on some new motor mounts, possibly Schumacher, if you can find a set. Those could be settled from age ? You could also pull the windshield, and roll the dash back. I've been schooled that is the way to go...
On a '65 b-body, you can roll the dash back without pulling the windshield. '66 and up, you have to pull the glass to get at the upper dash bolts under the weatherstrip.

The heavier than normal offset to the P.S. may be more so on a 65' than other years. I noticed on my neighbors 65' Coronett that you could barely get a credit card between the TTI header and the shock tower on the P.S
Exactly

Auto Transport Service
Back